chevy equinox oil consumption

My mom drive a 2011 Chevy equinox FWR 2.4L 4 cylinder engine. The problem is that it consumes a lot of oil. We do oil change every 3,000-5,000 miles and by that time 1-2 quarts are gone.

Few weeks ago we had to stop by gas station to buy oil, because it was so low that car started shaking at stops.

Took it to the dealer and they said that it's normal for this new engines (wtf?) to consume this much oil. If the consumption will go up, then they will replace the engine. Otherwise we need to add oil every 1,000 miles.

To me this make no sense. My dads Mazda doesn't burn oil, nor does my BMW.

I know few people on here drive Equinox, do you have same issue? Is it normal for a car to burn this much oil?

There are no oil leaks or smell of oil burning.

a lot of newer chevys have issues with burning oil, and unless it uses over a quart in a 1000 miles, the dealership will tell you its normal. truthfully, i think its just crappy assembly line style machining tolerances, but i dont know the engines in those equinoxes well enough to say. i know that the cylinder deactivation in the suburbans and tahoes caused massive oil usage, but that little equinox shouldn't have that as far as i know.

a lot of newer chevys have issues with burning oil, and unless it uses over a quart in a 1000 miles, the dealership will tell you its normal.

No car should burn almost two quarts within an oil change, jut saying .

awesomeness-1.jpg

(4)DD 9918's

(2)DC 10k

8 6.5" focals

2 DD SS4 mid amps

Audison Bit One processor

Jl-cl-rlc line driver

iPad in dash

Dual Irragi 320a alts

8 batcaps 4000's

Second Skin sound deadened

a lot of newer chevys have issues with burning oil, and unless it uses over a quart in a 1000 miles, the dealership will tell you its normal.

i agree completely. we have two other older chevys, one big block and one small block with way more miles than my moms newer truck, and dont use a drop of oil. its just something to do with the new motors, and i guarauntee you go to any local dealership and they will tell you that a quart or less in 1000 miles is acceptable usage, and to prove that it is using oil, only they will fill it and track it over the course of a month, and you cannot touch or fill the oil level as part of them determining it is in fact out of "oil usage" range. its complete and utter bs.

My mom drive a 2011 Chevy equinox FWR 2.4L 4 cylinder engine. The problem is that it consumes a lot of oil. We do oil change every 3,000-5,000 miles and by that time 1-2 quarts are gone.

Few weeks ago we had to stop by gas station to buy oil, because it was so low that car started shaking at stops.

Took it to the dealer and they said that it's normal for this new engines (wtf?) to consume this much oil. If the consumption will go up, then they will replace the engine. Otherwise we need to add oil every 1,000 miles.

To me this make no sense. My dads Mazda doesn't burn oil, nor does my BMW.

I know few people on here drive Equinox, do you have same issue? Is it normal for a car to burn this much oil?

There are no oil leaks or smell of oil burning.

That excess oil consumption for these was a bullshit policy GM made to save themselves money.

But the 2.4 are definitely known for excess oil consumption.

awesomeness-1.jpg

(4)DD 9918's

(2)DC 10k

8 6.5" focals

2 DD SS4 mid amps

Audison Bit One processor

Jl-cl-rlc line driver

iPad in dash

Dual Irragi 320a alts

8 batcaps 4000's

Second Skin sound deadened

If it got to shakin and shimmyin at a stop light, I'd sell it ASAP.

That's usually a bearing losing the hydrodynamic wedge, aka about to get up close and personal with a journal.

Did your mother vote for Obama? If so, no sympathy from me. I saw him in the GM plant kicking machines, while Biden was riding the assembly line like a roller coaster. I guess he thought it was Disneyland.

Have you messed with a rotary engine? They do and it's completely normal.

16574c3b-6f58-4a1b-9d20-bc84095d0449_zps5dacca75.jpg

My Malibu had the 2.4 and it would burn a quart every 5k

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

how many miles i know a teacher at my local school had a new pickup that did that and the mechanic told him to go open it up on the highway cause something with the piston rings. well who can resist doing that well went and did it sure enough it quit using oil.

of course it may not work for you

i'll see if i can dig something up later on since i gotta get a hair cut

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

Archived