How does friction work???

So I've been racking my brain over this....

If the nucleus of an atom is surrounded by electrons, and similarly charged particles repel each other... It would stand to reason that no two atoms actually touch right? They repel each-other, just like trying to push two magnets together.

If that's the case.... Why aren't things "slippy slidey" like a maglev train? Why is there friction? What happens on the molecular level?

Also keep in mind that I've only had chemistry in high school. So if there's something to be learned in the higher level chem classes I'm all ears

Going even beyond this.. How do things like adhesives and glue work?

you were made using alotta friction.. know whaaa im sayinnnnn

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4

OK so friction on an atomic level would be as follows..... the surface of 2 or more atoms are pressed or forced together bringing the electron levels/Clouds to a closer distance causing an interaction just like rubbing sandpaper on and object which causes Heat and a slowing down effect (friction) or opposing effect. Example: When you re-enter the Earths atmosphere you slow down drastically caused by friction/heat. Depending on force.

So a Maglev trains work by repulsion or deflection the only friction you have in this set-up is the actual air acting upon the train itself and also an induction effect cause by the same magnets +/+ of -/- electro-magnetism or a Triboelectric effect.

Adhesives and glue work by non similar particles/substance surfaces clinging to one another so if we where to look through a microscope you would see pores on a substance all an adhesive does is fill those pores causing the 2 surfaces to stay together also known as adhesion.

I hope this help's you out I tried to sum this up very simply.

I have a bachelors degree in EST and working on a Major is chemistry.

Man we talked somewhat about friction in my physics 211 class in college but idk if i'm in the mindset this late to try and explain what i know.

But every surface has a certain amount of resistance to movement based on the surface texture. this is called the coefficient of friction. And for simplicity sake, say a block is sitting on a table. just sitting there it has 2 forces acting on it. The downward force (mg or mass x gravity (9.eight) and the normal force. For An object with no vertical velocity or acceleration, the normal force is equal but opposite of the weight (table pushing up). From there you can use the appropriate formulas to calculate the force needed to get the object moving, and the force required to maintain the movement.

According to my physics book, Friction is a general term that is used to describe the resistive force that acts in opposition to motion or applied forces due to a normal contact boundary between two surfaces. On a microscopic level friction arises from the interaction of irregular surfaces in contact, as well as, the transient appearance of micro welds between the interacting surfaces.

Brandon

2000 Furd Ranger supercab 4x4

System:

welding wire throughout the truck

USalts 390amp Hairpin

Juicebox in stock location

8 Banks of maxwell supercaps

2 American Bass Vfl 1100.1 wired to .35 each

2 Fi Audio Sp4 18's ( the DD sc 9918's smoked)

Pioneer radio with Soundstream PA mids Powered by a nice sized soundstream 2 channel

It's pronounced (dain-ja rain-ja) :ph34r:

2001 2 door focus

1 DD9918 SC 

Archived