Amp going into protect mode after big 3 upgrade.

lights are gonna dim even with just .3 of a drop. only way to get rid of that is an hid kit

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

lights are gonna dim even with just .3 of a drop. only way to get rid of that is an hid kit

Not really, I have seen cars that even at 13v, the headlights don't dim. And they do not have HID's. Every car is different.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Even with supercaps and voltage that doesn't move on the VM-1 my dash lights still dim. I wouldn't use dimming or lack thereof as an indicator of voltage

Yeah I also plan on adding something like a Stinger volt meter. Anyways, when shopping for a yellowtop what should I look for to make sure it is going to be the right one for my car?

Are we battery shopping or diagnosing your amp?

Are we battery shopping or diagnosing your amp?

You must have missed my post where I said that I reset my gains and am no longer having issues with my amp cutting off.

Check voltage at battery, alternator, and amp.

It could be that with the upgraded electrical your deck is now putting out more voltage through the rca's now your gains are too high.

Always reset your gains after messing with your electrical.

Okay, so I re-adjusted my gains (ended up in pretty much the same spot it was at before I did my big 3 and began having issues). Since doing so the amp no longer cuts itself off when I turn the volume up. Kind of odd - must have just been a fluke or something. However I still get dimming lights and therefor have to turn my bass down at night. It doesn't seem to interfere with operation of any other electrical component in my car aside from lights.

Anyways, my next upgrades on my list are a new battery and a higher output alternator, then my problems with dimming should get cleared up. Any suggestions on a good cheap battery? Will any yellow top suffice or is there a particular brand or?

Hate to say told you so but......

Apparently I'm having difficulty tonight with reading LOL

Even still: I still need an answer to my question. Amp gains may have stopped the protect mode, but I'm not sure that the underlying issue has been solved. I've never had an amp protect from the gains being too high, provided it was seeing good voltage and not running below rated ohm load. I'm still concerned about this, and not entirely convinced it's been solved. Curbed, but not solved.

As for batteries: You have 2 options: Go to an auto parts store and they can look up your car's "group size" to figure out what battery you need. Or you can go outside with a tape measure, see what you can fit, note where the terminals are and if you can extend/replace cables for length, and get a battery according to that. My stock battery was a group 34, but I measured and put a group 35 in there

It happens haha. I currently have no volt gauge in my car, and currently don't have a DMM handy. I plan on getting one soon. I know I can get them for like 5 bucks at Harbor Freight so I don't really have an excuse to not have one lol.

To be honest I am not even positive that the amp is going into *protect* mode exactly. I only have one key to my car, and I can only open the trunk with the key. Therefor I cannot open the trunk to see if the light on my amp is still on without turning off my car. I just kind of blurted protect mode, but in actuality it may be that the amp had lost power all together perhaps? The thought crossed my mind to just open the trunk and then turn on my car and blast it until it went into protect mode or lost power or whatever it was doing, but I try to be mindful of my neighbors. Don't like to crap where I eat so to speak. Never got around to getting to a remote place to try that before I re set the gain and the amp stopped cutting off or going into protect or w/e.

Archived