Out of practice, new SQL build advice needed!

chensley80

Ok, so where to start, I've been lurking around here for a while and decided its time to post and get some help. So I haven't had a system in a car for almost 15 years now, (damn MOST technology). I have just bought a play car to drive in the winter, so I have decided to put in a nice SQL system for fun. In the past I was mostly interested in SPL, for reference the last system was a pair of DD 9515 (back when they were $379 a piece, not $900) on an old school HCCA. fast forward 15 years and now in my mid 30's I'm looking a bit more towards SQ. So here are the details on what I am looking to do. What I am asking is for advice on where I may be going the wrong direction as I know quality standards have changed in the past 15 years.

Car - volvo XC90

Headunit - Pioneer X5600, only chose this based on ratings, can be swayed to any double din in that range. Must be double din as I already have the replacement dash piece and it matches perfectly. Would really like to have a max screen size (near 7") as I will need to hook up rear view camera.

X-over - Audio control 6XS

Front and rear - MB quart Q 6.5 separates, two sets in stock locations (car has rear tweeter location in c pillars)

Sub- Fi Q 12" single sub in fiberglass enclosure (was really looking at RE XXX but I have read that they aren't what they used to be), Does anyone have a picture of a Fi sub with the logo in the "fire" color, looking to see if this matches the Cresendo amp color.

Amps - this is where I have been struggling, have been looking at Sundown (apparently the 1500 is no longer made and don't want to step up to the 2500), Arc KSI series 1200.1 and 300.4, or have been reading a lot about Cresendo audio Bass clef 2000 and C1100.4.

For interconnects i used to use Phoenix Gold, but I've read they are not what they used to be, so any recommendation would be helpful.

Battery, will be adding a second battery in the rear compartment next to the stock that is already located there. More than likely a optima yellow top, I assume these are still the standard?

The entire install will be custom fiberglass with the sub offset and the amps stacked on the opposite side.

So as you can imagine this build will take some time as I will doing the entire install myself at night and weekends, will try to keep an update going with pictures along the way. Plan to start this weekend starting the dynamat install (have 2 boxes ready to go), and ripping out the stock HU trying to keep the MOST loop intact.

I welcome all comments as you all obviously have a lot more recent knowledge than myself.

Thanks in advance.

Headunit - Pioneer X5600, only chose this based on ratings, can be swayed to any double din in that range. Must be double din as I already have the replacement dash piece and it matches perfectly. Would really like to have a max screen size (near 7") as I will need to hook up rear view camera.

Welcome to SMD

Back in the day, I loved Audio control. But now ... It seems much easier if you can find this all in one headunit.

I seem to like the Kenwood products for this application.

Best of luck with your build and welcome back to the world of Car Audio !!!

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Here is the fire dust cap. It actually looks like fire. I found this with google image search so it's not mine or anything.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae80/swimshane2010/05072010673.jpg

Here are the rest of them

http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/613849.jpg

Oh they also have a carbon fiber option now

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/162881-new-fi-carbon-fiber-dust-cap/

Welcome to SMD
Back in the day, I loved Audio control. But now ... It seems much easier if you can find this all in one headunit.
I seem to like the Kenwood products for this application.

Best of luck with your build and welcome back to the world of Car Audio !!!

Listen to this guy. He is right too, a lot of that stuff is built into headunits nowadays.

As far as amps/subs it is hard to give you advice because this can quickly be classified as a vs thread. The Fi Q is a very popular choice for SQL builds though, I own one, and it is great. As far as amps, I like to hunt down oldschool class A/B amps. It's pretty easy to find nice ones that put out enough power for a Q.

For batteries, Optima batteries aren't bad but they aren't as popular as they used to be. I am personally a huge fan of the DieHard Platinum (MUST BE PLATINUM) because it's an extremley well made battery by Odyssey/Enersys and you can abuse the hell out of it and swap it out at any Sears if you somehow kill it. They have underrated specs too. Should be plenty for what you are running, maybe not enough for some of the monster builds on this forum though. Many people run XS and Kinetik too.

Welcome back to Car Audio. Amazing enough I still run equipment from 15 years ago as well as new equipment too.

Depending on how much control you want of your system will also determine on your head unit and processor selection. I have my preference when it comes to head units but, to each is own. I think Aesthetics is very important as you have to be the one who looks at it every day. 15 years ago audio control was the shit for processing and today they are not bad. Now not saying you have to put a processor in but, it is something you should be open to in the future.

As for amps go will depend on your budget. Class A/B is still the preferred by a lot of the SQ guys but, I have heard some amazing digital amps as well. Nice thing about the new digital amp is the amount of power you get out of such a small footrpint.

Which leads me into the next portion choosing a battery, Most SQ systems will do great with just upgrading the front battery, electrical charrging wires as well as correct wire gauge for the system. My generic rule of thumb is 500 watts upgrade wires 1000watts upgrade wires and replace battery 1500 watts upgrade wires, put bigggest battery possible, and 2000 watts and up requires additional batteries.

I try not to offer brand names publically but, all that have been mentioned so far in this thread are not bad advice. Good Luck.

Archived