^^ how much would a custom cam cost? Do you guys do stuff for late model LS engines(99-06 GM)? Maybe I'll take this to PM just out of general curiosity. I know is have to do new rockers, retainers and springs, but it's something I've thought about should I ever need to rebuild the Sierra.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Yep, I can do them. You could do cam, springs, retainers, locks etc. for under 1k. Port the heads as well, and that 5.3 could be in the 440-460hp range quite easily, and reliably. Your mileage won't be any worse than stock, if done right.

But, it won't sound like a flathead. (See how I stayed on topic there?)

EP95-I've been trying to think of how to come close to getting the sound you want, but for the life of me I can't. I've never engineered to a specific sound, but just for some mental masturbation, I will model up a flathead in CFD and try to overlay different cam profiles on a 283 to get the same pressure rates and timings. If it gets close, I can garauntee it will lose at least 50% power, though.

I wasn't being a dick.

Would you not correct someone in audio if they referenced, say, the amplifier gain as a volume knob?

Same thing.

And, my mother has gone down a dragstrip, probably faster than most anyone here.(not driving)

This does not qualify her as knowledgeable as to camshafts, nor allows her to use incorrect terminology.

That's like me saying I'm now a sound engineer, because I've listened to music. Again, not being a dick.

I just would like to prevent someone that reads this, and at a car show (or wherever) talk about 3/4 cams. They would instantly lose all credibility with somone who knew their shit, and make for a most unfortunate situation.

Also, bringing up college degrees do not help. The most intelligent/wealthy/successful people I know don't have college degrees. College is, at best, a rudimentary education that only gives you a basic background on your chosen field of study. Once you graduate, it is up to you to learn the intricacies of your field.

Again, not being a dick. However, I doubt you will take it that way.

I see your point, and understand. But you are correct, you do not have to be a dick about it.

Like I said, if I can find the Cam set, I will giive you a specific part number.

My local drag strip got taken from my small town at an early age for me and was never REALLY able to get into it.

Sucks actually, but it is what it is. So Before I ever really got to follow in my Dad's footsteps, I joined the Military to fight for my country and got MASSIVE Electronics training. Actually going into the military was following my one of my dad's footsteps.

So where you took the time to learn all about the calculations on mechanics, I did the same in Broadband Electronics.

However, I did take the extra time to learn a few things from my dad to work on my own vehicles and not depend on anyone else.

So I'm not sure what "fast" really means any more on the drag strip but I do remember my dad's truck listed under a 9.90 index (what ever that means). I've driven it down the track (and a few of my own rides) many times before the track closed down.

Guess that drag racing wos one of those things that never really got to happen for me, but I got a taste of it.

I googled this from http://www.tildentechnologies.com/Cams/Take_34Race.html

What's a 3/4 Race Cam?

In the early 1950's the most popular original camshaft designers were the legendary Ed Winfield, the father of hotrodding, and Cliff Collins of Harman-Collins. If you look a Huntington's 1951 book you will find the specs for their cams listed. We've also listed some of their cams on our Flathead Performance Cams page. There were lots of cam grinders that copied Winfield and Harman-Collins cams, but these two were the designers and innovators in the early days. It was popular to refer to cams as a 1/2 Race or Semi grind and a Full Race grind. Later, there was a call for an intermediate grind between these two. To fill this demand, Ed Winfield took the intake lobe from his full race cam and the exhaust lobe from his semi cam and called it a 3/4 Race cam (see Flathead Performance Cams). It was literally half way between a full race and 1/2 race cam. Since that time, 3/4 Race has become a generic term for a high performance street cam, i.e. something less than a race cam.

So yes, the term "3/4 Race Cam" WAS used in my days of growing up.

However, I may have got the brand name wrong. It may be Crane Cams because here is a link to where you can buy a

"Crane Cams #271-100172 Energizer 3/4 Race Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam & Lifter Kit Lift: .450''/.450'' Duration: 274°/274° RPM Range: 1800-5800"

For 220 bucks ... http://www.jegs.com/i/Crane+Cams/271/100172/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710552766&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=230006180000514891&cadevice=c&gclid=CJCooLec270CFcyTfgodsXMASw

So please forgive me when I do not know exact measurements on a cam I bought over 25 years ago.

As far as colleges go, You are wrong Sir. You must have a good education for today's work force AND ON THE JOB TRAINING ... or else you will spend the rest of your life as a grease monkey mechanic for a living ... Sorry, But I'd rather be an Electronics / Lineman Technician anyday. The pay is much better than the local mechanics make around here.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Well this took a turn for the worse. ParDeus If you can come up with a design that'd be awesome, Power's not really a concern here since if it works I'd be putting it in an 1928 Chevy truck for a hotrod, considering its got an inline 4 anythings an improvement.

Well this took a turn for the worse. ParDeus If you can come up with a design that'd be awesome, Power's not really a concern here since if it works I'd be putting it in an 1928 Chevy truck for a hotrod, considering its got an inline 4 anythings an improvement.

Sorry for thread jacking brother, but I was not that far out of line when I mentioned "3/4 Race Cam" ...

And if you have pics of that '28 Chevy Truck ... I'd Really love to see them !!!

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

It's not really in what I'd call worth to see condition but it runs pretty good when we can get it to. heres some of ones similar

DSCF4334_JPG.jpg

It's got the chevy motor and front end but I think the dash(body?) or what ever you'd call it on these is from a ford. it's kind of a mishmash of parts. My papa wants to keep its petina but i want to restomd it.

edit, just remembered it has chemical brakes, fastest we got that thing going like 30 and they went out and I had to pull the e-brake to stop it, so they're definitley getting upgraded.

Man ... If it was mine, I'd run nothing but a Flathead 8 in that beast !!!

We have a Flathead engine on one of our engine stands now ...

I'll be able to get some photos(possibly a video) of the actual truck next weekend, don't have any of them on my phone. It's alot worse off then that truck in the picture though. 1 thing is its loud as hell though, its running straight manifolds.

I must have said I wasn't being a dick a dozen times, lol. Just clearing up confusion, not berating you for not having cam specs.

And btw, my college years (med school) had nothing to do with my career, and I make far more than I would as an M.D.

99% of what I know was learned through individual effort, not college.

Anyhow, badass truck, EP95. I think I can whip you up something. I've got a message into David Vizard, and when he gets back to me I'm sure he'll have a good recommendation on how to proceed.

cool, just gotta get my poppa to let me actually do this(the truck not the motor).

Archived