New to the SQ game

crw092782

Get a 4-channel amp and bridge it to a set of comp in the front. that will give you plenty of power.

Forget the rear speakers, you don't need them. If you run two 18"s how can you ear rear speakers ?

Keep the rear speakers budget for the front stage only.

I run a good Focal set for years, and I still love it !

The cheapest solution would be some speakers ran active, from parts-express or madisound (Vifa tweeters, and mids from scanspek-dayton-etc... for example), on a 4-channel amplifier. You would need an external processor or an head unit with a built-in processor.

For the sub, you can take any one ! Don't need to buy a JBL GTI, but it's a good sub :)

Use what you want, the most important step for your "SQ" will be the box.

Good luck and have fun !

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

In all honesty, I am 99% certain that I will not be going with 2 18's. I'm going to do 1 12" most likely. I hear what you mean about not using rear speakers and putting that money toward better front stage. I am still in the planning process but Focal speakers just look so beautiful to me.

On a positive note, I did find a Audison/Hertz dealer about an hour away from me. I am going to drive down there on Saturday and listen to some speakers to help make up my mind.

2004 Pontiac Vibe Build

Sony MEX-N5000BT

JBL P660C x 2

Sundown Audio Zv4 18

Crescendo BC2000D

Crescendo S800/4

Execution Audio 0 AWG Wire

Sky High Car Audio RCA's

Toolmaker Terminals

XS Power D1200

DC Power 240HP Alternator

Viper 5706

2004 Pontiac Vibe Build

Sony MEX-N5000BT

JBL P660C x 2

Sundown Audio Zv4 18

Crescendo BC2000D

Crescendo S800/4

Sky High Car Audio RCA's

Toolmaker Terminals

XS Power D1200

Viper 5706

I figure I would build a ported enclosure that way I can tune it to what I am looking for and get a better response. I have also been kicking around the idea of either a 4th order or 6th order because I have the room in the hatch. So many options! :)

2004 Pontiac Vibe Build

Sony MEX-N5000BT

JBL P660C x 2

Sundown Audio Zv4 18

Crescendo BC2000D

Crescendo S800/4

Sky High Car Audio RCA's

Toolmaker Terminals

XS Power D1200

Viper 5706

To help you out better, A solid start would be the headunit. Stock with a processor or headunit upgrade ???

Very nice setup

I figure I would build a ported enclosure that way I can tune it to what I am looking for and get a better response. I have also been kicking around the idea of either a 4th order or 6th order because I have the room in the hatch. So many options! :)

I would go with the old tried and true SQ simple flat response ported and tuned ... Subs back / ports back / 24 to 28 htz

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

To help you out better, A solid start would be the headunit. Stock with a processor or headunit upgrade ???

Very nice setup

I would go with the old tried and true SQ simple flat response ported and tuned ... Subs back / ports back / 24 to 28 htz

Question 1: I just installed the head unit last night. Are you saying that this isn't going to be good for my application?

Question 2: Is 24-28Hz tuned really low? again, I am asking only because I know that I had tuned my last box low at 29Hz. This seems even lower.

Sorry for the noobish questions, but I want to make sure I am doing this the right way. Thanks.

2004 Pontiac Vibe Build

Sony MEX-N5000BT

JBL P660C x 2

Sundown Audio Zv4 18

Crescendo BC2000D

Crescendo S800/4

Sky High Car Audio RCA's

Toolmaker Terminals

XS Power D1200

Viper 5706

A lower tune will help keep group delay down, control excursion at the lower frequencies that are prone to be in SQ music, and a few others that I can't think of instantly while I'm on my phone.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Question 1: I just installed the head unit last night. Are you saying that this isn't going to be good for my application?

Never said that. Just wanted to know exactly what you plan to go with. Please posts pics of it and specs so we can help guide you through the next step.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

Question 2: Is 24-28Hz tuned really low? again, I am asking only because I know that I had tuned my last box low at 29Hz. This seems even lower

Get your enclosure tuned as close to the driver's Fs as possible for a more accurate "tight and snappy" response.

Archived