TortoiseShore Posted April 24, 2014 Report Posted April 24, 2014 Can't seem to get this damn box right for 2 Sundown X-10's. Used the calculator and got ~72 in^2 for the pair, and I can only come up with ridiculous port lengths. Anyone have some tips on cutting port length while keeping tuning and volume? Max Dimensions would be 35 wide and length/ height depend on getting it in my trunk. 15 tall I can fit about 25 deep.
ChevyBoy95 Posted April 24, 2014 Report Posted April 24, 2014 why do you want your port so big? not to mention they GIVE you free box plans on the site that could VERY easily be manipulated to a good box. Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's] BL : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/
TortoiseShore Posted April 24, 2014 Author Report Posted April 24, 2014 Everyone says to not use the port per foot rule and to use this calculator http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31 so I did and this is what I got lol. How much port area is enough? And I didn't even see that they had box plans... oops. Will take a look at them
Krakin Posted April 24, 2014 Report Posted April 24, 2014 The formula -created by possibly the best pioneers of audio Richard Small- is only accurate within +10% of the area needed as stated by him. Now when you put the enclosure in a car/truck port noise will be even less noticeable (although may be there slightly) as acoustic factors such as cabin gain make it harder to notice. You can go with less port area in a car audio environment based off of its affects. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
TortoiseShore Posted April 24, 2014 Author Report Posted April 24, 2014 The formula -created by possibly the best pioneers of audio Richard Small- is only accurate within +10% of the area needed as stated by him. Now when you put the enclosure in a car/truck port noise will be even less noticeable (although may be there slightly) as acoustic factors such as cabin gain make it harder to notice. You can go with less port area in a car audio environment based off of its affects. Alright. I always used the port per foot, then this came up so I thought I would try it and this was the result. So pretty much try for the most I can get without it looking like this? Lol
Krakin Posted April 24, 2014 Report Posted April 24, 2014 I haven't seen any testings resulting in negative affects other than the obvious loss of space. I am not trying to say that a port can't get too large, I just haven't seen anything documented yet. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
alaskanzx5 Posted April 24, 2014 Report Posted April 24, 2014 To large of a port can make a box act like a leaky/improperly sealed box. I stick within manufacturer suggested port volumes to a certain extent. Its all install dependant though. t1500bdcp 2 t2d4 15" 1 t600.4 1 t400.2 1 set p1 tweets singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.
TortoiseShore Posted April 24, 2014 Author Report Posted April 24, 2014 Alright, I'll look at their box and see what I can come up with off of it.
Krakin Posted April 24, 2014 Report Posted April 24, 2014 Do you have any way of supporting that statement though? If it acts as a sealed box, it would only have a single resonance system, however it will still have two. If you can, can you present something to prove your point? Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
TortoiseShore Posted April 24, 2014 Author Report Posted April 24, 2014 Do you have any way of supporting that statement though? If it acts as a sealed box, it would only have a single resonance system, however it will still have two. If you can, can you present something to prove your point? I think he meant an improperly sealed box/ leaky box, not an actual sealed box
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.