C-pillar wall thoughts.

Yea, kinda figured you'd be interested in seeing those Zeds ... They do look nice.

I'd take them over that JBL anyday.

Just saying ...

I've seen a picture of his Mino's before somewhere else, and yep, have always been jelly. I too would take them over the JBL. But I wouldn't exactly sell the JBL either :)

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

yes they do, since you know keith I'm assuming your in ri? you make it out to any shows?

I'm in Maine currently. Been to only one in Hyannis this year. Really short list of shows in this area.

I've only seen the he acura, but the wall in that is SOLID, felt like I was hitting a brick wall.

Exactly. The results speak for themselves and I pay attention to some of the unorthodox methods he has mentioned that seem to work.

I don't doubt that what you're doing will be strong, it's just that I don't consider chip board very user friendly. I can't imagine what its like to try and finish the surfaces.

No worse than ply or MDF for cutting, better than MDF for screwing and wrestling around without things getting crushed. I expect it'll take glue and carpet just as easily as anything else.

Just looking at his jeep it peaking in the 60hz region, its a burp vehicle i know a hand full of people here in WI that can do that on a burp, and some that do those numbers on music.

Doesnt mean to go out and follow everything they say.

His wall is layered, not no 2-3 layers of chip board if that is what he used.

Actually he told me 3 layers in the Accura, but you're saying I shouldn't listen to what the guy says who's 157 build I've seen and sat in, but I should listen to some random people on an online message board who have never tested that material and who live in the same state as people who are loud. Seriously, if you have done testing and have some numbers to back it up I'm all ears, but otherwise you're just guessing and your "advice" is far worse than that of the person who has actually used it.

if you wanna chase numbers and play music could you possibly do interchangeable ports???

I could easily, but I'm really not interested in low tuning or fartbox tuning. 38-40hz is typically where I like tuning these so I'll very probably only swap around ports long enough to decide what I like then make one that length permanent and a little nicer.

Run 3 woofers

Way too late for that now.... was too late when I built the subs with the d1.4 coils.... besides I will have roughly 18 cubes net which is adequate for 4 15's, and 8 Minotaurs (1 per coil) is the longer term plan.

Yea, kinda figured you'd be interested in seeing those Zeds ... They do look nice.

I'd take them over that JBL anyday.

Just saying ...

I've seen a picture of his Mino's before somewhere else, and yep, have always been jelly. I too would take them over the JBL. But I wouldn't exactly sell the JBL either :)

I'm a huge Zed fan, but that Crown amp sounds wonderful, makes a ton of power, and looks really impressive. I've never had the chance to run it and have it visible so that's going to happen before I try to install all the Minotaurs.

Tomorrow I'll be hooking up a pair of Minotaur for some low power testing, then working on getting the batteries in, and possibly start painting the inside with my thick epoxy.

IMG_0444_zpsecf6b1a0.jpg

IMG_0440_zps4cb5d1bf.jpg

IMG_0441_zpsb6356728.jpg

IMG_0445_zps9ca9136d.jpg

IMG_0443_zpsf5c51e7e.jpg

Back is 3 layers thick sandwiched with epoxy and then painted with epoxy. Tomorrow the epoxy will be cured and I can mount this back and begin testing. Eventually I would like to have the back on hinges so that I can open it up and use the inside for cargo area when needed. In the meantime some weather stripping and some big arse screws will hold things tight and still allow me to get inside to tighten things up as needed.

Plenty of room on either side of the box. I'll be using my leftover 2X4's as ribs along there and that'll give me a nice place to screw some trim pieces on to to finish off the front. I may or may not be able to do that alone so that might have to wait until I can railroad a friend into helping out for half a day.

I'm a huge Zed fan, but that Crown amp sounds wonderful, makes a ton of power, and looks really impressive. I've never had the chance to run it and have it visible so that's going to happen before I try to install all the Minotaurs.

Tomorrow I'll be hooking up a pair of Minotaur for some low power testing, then working on getting the batteries in, and possibly start painting the inside with my thick epoxy.

Yeah, it's a tough choice. Crown makes a lot of power, but the Mino's would be more efficient. Not sure where your electrical stands. But I think the JBL might look more enticing to you because you've had the Mino's in before. To someone who hasn't seen either mounted, they would both look equally impressive I think. The JBL is something to behold just because it's massive and looks awesome, but the Zeds are really constructed beautifully, and with 8 of them, are going to look really cool. JBL would be much simpler just because of wiring and settings, but on the other hand, depending on what you did with wiring could make the setup of the Zeds amazing. I'm a nerd and like nice wiring jobs though. It's up to you in the end, either one is gonna look kickass.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

If i were to use Particle board i would have at least used Birch or MDF for the box then made that stronger with the Particle board if i was to use particle board.

Thas my Opinoin

123_zpsdd06b4db.png

Yeah, it's a tough choice. Crown makes a lot of power, but the Mino's would be more efficient. Not sure where your electrical stands. But I think the JBL might look more enticing to you because you've had the Mino's in before. To someone who hasn't seen either mounted, they would both look equally impressive I think. The JBL is something to behold just because it's massive and looks awesome, but the Zeds are really constructed beautifully, and with 8 of them, are going to look really cool. JBL would be much simpler just because of wiring and settings, but on the other hand, depending on what you did with wiring could make the setup of the Zeds amazing. I'm a nerd and like nice wiring jobs though. It's up to you in the end, either one is gonna look kickass.

Agreed on efficiency for sure, particularly at lower power where they switch to the lower rail voltage. I was playing around with just a pair of them on a single 15 for a couple weeks here while I was waiting for some free time to get this build going. Was able to put up 147.0 @ 42 hz in my daily box (did as high as 147.4 in testing but forgot where the seats were for that score). No issues with voltage on only 1 extra battery and never popped 80A fuses. I'm very confident I could run all 8 on just my 4 batteries with less worry than running the crown off the same battery bank.

I definitely have plenty of battery for the Minotaurs, will be cutting it close on the Crown unless I can find a spot to mount my 5th battery when I put this together.

Sadly pretty wiring isn't my long suit though I'll have to make some effort to keep things clean with so many of them. I had some issues with a couple of them shortly after I took the original pic so never actually ran more than 4 at once.

Actually he told me 3 layers in the Accura, but you're saying I shouldn't listen to what the guy says who's 157 build I've seen and sat in, but I should listen to some random people on an online message board who have never tested that material and who live in the same state as people who are loud. Seriously, if you have done testing and have some numbers to back it up I'm all ears, but otherwise you're just guessing and your "advice" is far worse than that of the person who has actually used it.

I can care less what another person vehicle does.

Only a fool takes advice from one person because of a number they can burp.

Which is what your doing, but yet your on the internet asking random people on message board who apparently don live in a start with loud people about their thoughts on a c-pillar wall......

My tahoe could burp 155s, without a wall and under 33hz and still seat 5 people...

Whoopty do!

Alan Dante can burp 181db with a single 18, so I guess that makes him the know all to spl and your buddy just another random guy being boasted highly from a now body on message board..

I can care less what another person vehicle does.

Only a fool takes advice from one person because of a number they can burp.

Which is what your doing, but yet your on the internet asking random people on message board who apparently don live in a start with loud people about their thoughts on a c-pillar wall......

My tahoe could burp 155s, without a wall and under 33hz and still seat 5 people...

Whoopty do!

Alan Dante can burp 181db with a single 18, so I guess that makes him the know all to spl and your buddy just another random guy being boasted highly from a now body on message board..

I wasn't asking what kind of materials to use, just if a c pillar wall was worth the trouble over just keeping things in the cargo area.

It seems your opinion on wood is that higher density must be better. By this logic, lead must be superior to titanium for strength and rigidity.

In fact my prime concern in wood choice was to use a porous material so that I could get better penetration with the epoxy for more strength and my first choice was going to be particle board but it isn't available locally.

If Alan Dante told me that MDF was better than OSB or particle board without ever having tested them he's talking out his arse too. The issue isn't so much your resume with numbers (though that certainly proves whether or not you know how to build solid and get loud) it's that you have never actually tested these other materials beyond just weighing them and measuring the thickness of the sheets.

From my standpoint, if someone has a resume to back up their claims AND has tested something that's when I start really taking into consideration what they have to say, more the better if I can see/hear their results for myself. FYI other people who have actually tested different materials have also recommended I use things other than MDF or 100$ a sheet imported plywood. SO I actually wasn't going out on a limb here on one guy's say-so, but that and two other people who I trust who have done the testing to back up their claims.

More pictures! Get it done! lolz

I'm interested. ....never seen an angled C-Pillar either, but I get why you did it.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

More pictures! Get it done! lolz

I'm interested. ....never seen an angled C-Pillar either, but I get why you did it.

Just following the angle of the back seat.

Did some low power testing today, port is tuning about where I was aiming with peak appearing around 42. I've painted the inside with a bunch more epoxy and ran all my wires so that I can mount batteries and the big amp tomorrow.

I'm somewhat worried about the suspension on these subs. I went with a very stiff American made spider and one of them I never played before so it's barely moving. I believe the others are moving a bit unevenly as well. I hooked it up free air for about 20 minutes to some low tones to stretch it out a bit so hopefully it'll be a little softer.

Also cut some pieces to seal up between the sides of the baffle and the edges of the vehicle. I'll probably paint them and mount them tomorrow. I'm looking to carpet everything but there isn't a fabric store within 100 miles of here so that may have to wait until I'm traveling.

IMG_0448_zps01722282.jpg

IMG_0447_zps449fb1a5.jpg

IMG_0446_zpsc576afe4.jpg

All the sides seem very rigid and firm when playing some low frequency materials, but I'll be adding some 2X4 bracing on the sides on general principal and also to hold the trim pieces in place.

Archived