alternator size. how to choose? please help

I have an 03 accord with a dc 2.0k amp for the bass and a jl 360/4 for the highs, I've done the big 3, but just put a vote meter on today and I drop to 11.4 when the bass hits hard. I have a yellow top optima under the hood and a stinger spp925 in the trunk. How many amps should I run on an alternator to solve my voltage drop, and what is the lowest safe voltage to run my amp at. Thank you and sorry for this long essay lol.

Well contact dc, mechman and singer alts. See what they can do for you and make sure you let them know what amps your running so they can better help you.

from there talk with them and figure it out.

so where did you test for voltage at? Big 3 done? Solid grounds? Where are you grounded? Sanded the paint off for the ground? What size wiring?.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

0 gauge solid sanded ground points, tested voltage at alternator, front and rear battery they all read the same. What is a dangerous voltage number for that amp? And what are the consequences

Can't tell you an exact dangerous voltage, but the lower the voltage, the higher the current. The higher the current, the more heat. Heat is an enemy to power electronics and likes to fry them. Most nicer amps have low voltage protection and go into protect mode before things break though.

After reading on here,i must point out to you 120db that just because an alt puts out more than your stock,

you may find yourself in another highly annoying situation such as this:

Newly updated Alternator puts out gobs of new power, BUT only at higher RPM's,and at idle your stock

may have actually been superior at idle..just a heads up i learned here at SMD..

A lot of it is hype IMO. I'm going to bet that most of the HO alternators won't put out anywhere near what is claimed in long term real world applications. I've been running Excessive Amperage and can vouch for him being a good guy with a good product. My best advice is go with whoever you think will give you the best service after the sale if you have trouble because space and heat being limiting factors there's simply no way one person can magically give you an extra 100A or something ridiculous out of the same size package.

Most people don't like going below 12v.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

A lot of it is hype IMO. I'm going to bet that most of the HO alternators won't put out anywhere near what is claimed in long term real world applications. I've been running Excessive Amperage and can vouch for him being a good guy with a good product. My best advice is go with whoever you think will give you the best service after the sale if you have trouble because space and heat being limiting factors there's simply no way one person can magically give you an extra 100A or something ridiculous out of the same size package.

lol last I heard, dc power has a machine that's over a quarter million that temperature stress tests alts. and they OEM for automotive companies too

Archived