Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Enclosure Design Help- ABhd15d2


Recommended Posts

Posted
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with designing a ported box. I have looked into it myself but it gets a little over my head and I haven't been able to get a program to run any enclosure design programs on my Mac.


Im currently running a American Bass HD15D2 at 1 ohm powered by a Crescendo BC2000d and I drive a 2004 honda civic coupe

maximum width available = 31.5"

maximum height available = 16.5"

depth = ~19"


I have some flexibility with adding Depth. For the Width I would need to test first but I squeezed a 31.5" wide in before.


If you are able to help me out, I am able to give more information if needed.


Thanks

Posted

okay so...

12volt website port calculator (not sure if accurate) calculated if i have a 4.06 cu foot box, which is after sub displacement (roughly), if i want it tuned to 32 hz, i would need a 3'' width port by 15'' high and length at 23.633 inches.

so it doesn't seem to account for the port taking up space, will that throw off tuning by enough for me to try and calculate for that?

if i have a 3" wide port, and the length is 23.633 inches, and my box only has interior depth up to 16.75...

i would just continue the length down the back of the box, correct? and it would need to have the same width of the front width?

would i need to keep it from being directly behind my subwoofer?

also do those port dimensions sound right for tuning to 32 hz?

i tried re audios calculator… its a pain in the ass and doesn't account for speaker displacement, and you don't get the option of entering in the box volume. if anyone has other sites that have good port calculators let me know! i got a mac and i can't run torres or a lot of the ones i see people talking about on these forums..

thanks

Posted

well this is brutal… gonna keep posting hope someone decides to help out.

Will these specs work for a correct tuning frequency to 32 hz?

Wood Thickness= 0.75" MDF- Double Baffle for 1.5''

Exterior Dimensions

Width= 31.5"

Height= 16.5''

Depth= 19"

Interior Dimensions

Width= 30"

Height=15"

Depth=16.75"

Volume Before Displacement= 4.363 cubic feet

Volume After Displacement (woofer)= 4.06 cubic feet (rough number, on the high side of the actual amount of space the woofer will take up)

Port Dimensions

Port Width= 3"

Port Height=15"

Port Length=23.633"

The port specs were given with subwoofer displacement taken into account.

Would the port cut out be:

(1) 5.133" W x 15" H

(1) 14.75" W x 15" H

This is assuming the port length is determined by the center/average of the port walls. I assume that is correct in how you are supposed to calculate it but if not and you actually do pick one port wall to account for the length of the port, let me know!

Help is appreciated. Thanks

Posted

Hey man. If no one had responded by in the morning I'll throw your specs into torres and see how it comes out when I get back to my pc.

I understand, but I run a Mac. It cant open .exe files without bootcamp or similar program and i dont own a windows install disk. So I tried off 12volts port calculator but im unsure if its accurate.

Thanks for the reply tho

Posted

Set yourself up a spreadsheet where you can enter internal dimensions of your box, dimensions of port, then calculate gross, and net after port and other displacements. I like to have a field where I can check my port area to box volume ratio as well.

There's a couple online port calculators that'll get you close enough that any varience will be inaudible.

Port is tuned based on NET volume so it's volume is not counted towards the internal box volume.

Posted

abhd14_zps8b6b4e0a.jpg

26 inches long port is like 31.5hz. Specs of that woofer are fairly similar to an Tantric HD 15. It may not like being in that small of a box with that little of port area though. If you could run it inverted, you could squeeze some extra displacement. In all honesty, I bullshitted the sub displacement but it should be fairly close.

This is what I'm running for my Tantric HD 15 in an 01 Volvo S40. Similar sub, similar power, similar car. I went over this design with some Tantric guys and they said it would work perfect.

hd15boxfinal_zpsc7a41746.jpg

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

 

Posted

Mind shooting me names to the decent online ones? Ive found a few but dont seem that good. The again im not aware what is good or not.

So instead of my internal volume being 4.06 cu ft it would of actually been that, minus how many cu ft the port is ( 0.615cuft)

So im actually working with 3.445 cu ft of internal box space?

And the box volume to port ratio would be

3.445 : 0.615

I guess ill try and find out recommended box vol to port vol ratios.

Is there a specifx purpose to that?

Because isnt tuning just the size of the port compare to the box as a whole?

Or was your point about the volume, that my tuning could be off because i considered the port volume as the box volume?

Thanks

Posted

Well the general rule is 12-16 sq-in of port for every cubic foot of box volume you have...but that rule is kinda bullshit at the same time. In the dumbed down way that I learned/understand it, port area is more so dependent upon the individual woofer with the primary factor being the excursion capabilities of the woofer.

(SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF WRONG)

A woofer with a TON of excursion capabilities requires more port area to effectively move air in/out of the enclosure compared to a woofer with lower excursion abilities. Hopefully Krakin will chime in.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2843 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...