JCAudio Posted May 12, 2014 Report Posted May 12, 2014 Hey guys, Long time lurker finally had something to ask! Im building a box for someone who has 6 Rockford p3s on around 7 or 8k watts and I have a few questions. First question. Should I double layer 3/4 mdf the whole box or use birch? Or will single layer 3/4 and a layer of fiberglass resin/ dowel rod bracing be enough? Or maybe 1" mdf? Will double baffle be strong enough or do I need to triple baffle? It will be a square port Im assuming port back towards rear hatch will be louder than port up or forward... and last but not least, the car resonant hz is 48hz, I plan on tuning the box to around 40 or should I go higher? Thanks for any help!
SnowDrifter Posted May 12, 2014 Report Posted May 12, 2014 IMO: Removable port, start long - maybe 38hz or so. Burp, pull it out, cut an inch off, burp again. Etc etc until you find a port length that gives you your highest score ~~~~~~~~SAY NO TO PHOTOBUCKET~~~~~~~~ Snow's DD-1 tracks here: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167433-snows-dd-1-tracks/ My take on OFC vs CCA: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/110381-things-that-piss-you-off-in-the-car-audio-world/?do=findComment&comment=2461444
JCAudio Posted May 12, 2014 Author Report Posted May 12, 2014 Ok. What do you think about the wood. Do you think 3/4 with bracing and double baffle would be strong enough for that much power or should I double layer or use birch
Kyblack76 Posted May 12, 2014 Report Posted May 12, 2014 for spl? shoot for around 50hz.... SMD SUPER SELLER The Burban Build Blazer Build sold Acura trunk build sold
JCAudio Posted May 12, 2014 Author Report Posted May 12, 2014 50 hz with resonant of 48? I always heard box max is 5-8 hz above tuning. He wants spl and mild mus4 c bumping. The big problem I'm having is wood strength. Idk if 3/4 With bracing and resin and double baffle will be strong enough. Or if I should use 1 inch / dual 3/4 or birch.
EP95 Posted May 12, 2014 Report Posted May 12, 2014 I'd double up on the wood just to be safe, if he wants to still play music I'd tune to around 38-40hz.
Kyblack76 Posted May 12, 2014 Report Posted May 12, 2014 SPL, means your just burping to me..... so, ya, tune to 50, and work down.... you meet vehicle res with tune, and you are gonna get loud..... SMD SUPER SELLER The Burban Build Blazer Build sold Acura trunk build sold
JCAudio Posted May 14, 2014 Author Report Posted May 14, 2014 Ok. I think I'm gonna make multiple ports. I just don't know about box strength. Will single 3/4 be strong enough or should I do double on all sides
timc31610 Posted May 20, 2014 Report Posted May 20, 2014 I would double it and brace the baffle between the subs. My Build Log 94 Civic http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188644-94-civic-4-door-build-loq-suggestions-wanted-will-be-super-slow-mo/ Faceebook reluctantly
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.