Sundown Audio

Odd things happening with my setup

Zac Arthur

Hey everyone! First post (yayyy...)

Anyways, I just got a new system installed by myself but I'm having some problems.

Amplifier : Hifonics Atlas 3000w RMS Monoblock
Subwoofer : Orion HCCA 152 2500w RMS
Battery : Optima 75AH

So basically I thought I'd tune this thing with my DMM, set it for 30v (30v over 1 ohm = 30a, 30a x 30v = 900w) just to start with, to break it in a little, and I notice the amplifier clipping. (Mt Olympus amps have a bass knob with detection LED's on them) Was the weirdest thing, but that's not all. I let it break in for a bit, then I tried adjusting it for 40v (40v over 1 ohm = 40a, 40a x 40v = 1600w), clipping again, same as before.

I get the feeling something in my rig is resistive, whether its the ground, the speaker wires or something I can't see, I'm just at a loss... Anybody had this problem before?

Oh, and not only this but when it's up full tilt, I'd expect my headlights to dim (Telltale sign of a decent amount of draw), but they dont. Also the fact that my friends 1000w system I made for him hits hella hard compared to this :S HALP

Zac, find someone with a DD-1 and tune the amp correctly.

Recheck sub wiring.

What size power wire and fuse are you running?

truthsayer

Sorry guys, was a tad busy so I had to make it quick. I'm running 0 gauge power and ground, and 8 gauge speaker wire, remote turn on is like 16 or 24 gauge or something idk its a stinger pack. Fuse is a 250a on the power wire running from my Optima battery to the boot of my car.

"Clip", this is clipping I couldn't hear, but was indicated on the diagnostic bass remote that comes with the amplifier.

Also, weird thing is this only happens on transients, the "clipping" thing. Test tone, set it to 30v or so, no problems, no clip light or anything of the sort, this is straight out of the CD player I have (Pioneer AVH X5550BT), think everythings all dandy no problems then go to throw on a song, comes up and the clip light starts flashing, like... The fuck....

I'd expect that light to flash at like 53 volts, not 30 -.-

And another thing, these clipping indicators are not correct most of the time - don't trust them.

Do you use bass boost/loudness/EQ (don't) ? Do you know at what volume your player starts to distort?

Player is a Pioneer AVH X5550BT, as stated above, I never use bass boost or loudness or EQ on the headunit or amplifier, I'm an ex audio engineer, and know how nasty that stuff can get. Phase shifts and the like are a no no for me.

Player starts to distort well above the level I'm setting it for, 30 is my limit but it goes a bit higher than that. 4v outputs on the RCA's so I'm not clipping those, I'm just at a loss. Only thing I can think is screwing me is resistivity on my wires or something :S

Just for future reference too, HCCA 152 wired in parallel, 4x 70cm run from sub to brass bolts (with washers) through box to another 4x set of 900mm runs to amplifier. Everythings wired up as per spec, just can't get the full girth of this thing to pound like it should....

Get yo shit DD1'd son

A DMM isn't gonna show clipping and the bass knob isn't going to either, they don't have a reputation of being too accurate. On top of that you have 4v preouts, so in theory you won't be needing to turn your gain up that much which you'd see if you get it tuned properly

And the reason your clipping light comes on when you play music is because music is dynamic and constantly changing and could be clipped itself

Edit: Just noticed you're from Australia, if you can't get your hands on a DD1 try and find someone with an O-Scope

1898070_635754349830843_1457278514_n_zps

Throw the remote bass knob away and use the H/U sub level out to control your sub level, the clipping lights are off and do not help you find when actual clipping will happen.

If you feel as though you have to use the remote then cover the clipping light with some electrical tape or black paint so you can't see it light up.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Makes sense, just got a little jumpy when a new system says I'm clipping, though it shouldn't be saying it.

Another point, just so I'm clear, a grounding point can be any bolt with the paint stripped down under it? I'm looking at moving my ground from where it is (Bolt on the parcel shelf) to the mounting bolt used on my LPG tank in my trunk. Would be a bit sturdier on the mounting bolt but I don't want to blow myself up. Yes I know it's grounded already because it's connected to the chassis I'm just double checking :P

Archived