94 Ford Beast-350 OBS CCLB - Motor is done, need to sell, questions-please help

Yes. I was thinking I could just do top dead center on the crank shaft, then put the chain on. Then crank it by hand and look at the rods. when all the rods are the same height it's the exhaust stroke, and when the intake rods are up it's the compression stroke right? I'm reading an article right now on it.

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/cs111a.htm

Once you line up your timing marks on the crank and cam you should be at TDC

Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born.

My penis is bigger than your penis

I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.

That's what I thought too, but I think I was getting confused by the talk of the combustion stroke and exhaust stroke. I would think that if the keys are lined up, and the sprockets go on, they would be correct. As always I'm probably over thinking it. I'll tackle it tomorrow. Thanks!

props to you Scott...

you do it right, I think you missed your calling.

I know a lot of "mechanics" that don't have the same ethic as you, and they get paid to work.

Keep on truckin buddy, you're on the right track :)

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

props to you Scott...

I know a lot of "mechanics" that don't have the same ethic as you, and they get paid to work.

Cause they don't get paid to sit and paint and clean like he does.. Pay them and they will do what you want. But when you get paid 10hrs to R&R head gaskets you bet your ass it won't come out looking like that. Im sure he has that much time in cleaning alone.

Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born.

My penis is bigger than your penis

I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.

props to you Scott...

Cause they don't get paid to sit and paint and clean like he does.. Pay them and they will do what you want. But when you get paid 10hrs to R&R head gaskets you bet your ass it won't come out looking like that. Im sure he has that much time in cleaning alone.

not so much the painting part. I could care less if a part in my engine bay is painted. Seen LOTS of guys just throw push rods into a bin, snug down a bolt then go a few turns over as "tight," just being lazy...

Scott just has SO much time into this motor... It's crazy how much detail he is going into.

I love it. It's like watching me and my dad work together.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Thanks guys. Yeah probably too many hours, but it started out as a hobby project and turned into a get it done to sell project. I could just leave half of it done nice and the other half crap. I still have a few pieces to paint, throttle body, alternator, thermostat water neck. I was going to do the outside too, but we'll see. The wifey is wearing thin on how much is going into it.

That said, yes, more than 10 hours in painting and cleaning and prep alone. I did order some more stuff today from Summit. Looked over the radiator last night and it's was not in such great shape. So I got a new one of those, and a new lighter fan. Transmission filter and gasket, this was well overdue. It's had a slight leak in it for a while, I think the place that rebuilt it over tightened the bolts, going to Boom's point. But I'll fix that too. Also got some new ford racing spark plug wires. I have MSD Ignition wires now, but they never fit right. So Whatever. Still going to spend a fortune in fluids too, oil, rad, power steering, transmission, etc.

But, last night I made some progress, all be it slow progress. Got all the rocker arms on and torqued down and then ran into a slight issue with the valve covers. Nothing major and nothing a set of Rubber washers won't fix. The bolts are about 1/16" too tall and won't seat down the valve covers all the way. Too much movement for my liking. So no big deal.

Aside of that I had an issue with the timing as I mentioned before, since I did some movement when the chain was off. With the help of Billy via text last night, thanks buddy, we got it dialed in we think, and thus I was able to get the timing chain and gear set on and bolted down. Got to be too late and I was getting too tired to go any further. But I got the smog pump on the bracket, and ready to go there too. Got the crank oil seal in the timing cover. Got the gasket out for the timing cover and set it down on the bench and the cover on top to flatten it out. They send it folded around a piece of round cardboard, which I don't understand since the packaging is big enough to lay it flat or put it on a piece of cardboard backing. But whatever. Got most everything stripped as far as tape goes from the things that were painted. I think tonight I'll be able to do some more, and really start showing progress.

I have taken pics but I don't have them loaded. Probably won't until Saturday night or Sunday sometime. Still the most nervous part I have about this whole thing, is the timing position. I'm so worried it's not going to be right and i"m going to have to take it apart and do it again. That will suck!!

Ok more later. Thanks for the advice, support, and just following along guys.

Archived