94 Ford Beast-350 OBS CCLB - Motor is done, need to sell, questions-please help

Motor Update!!!!

Ok so here's what's up! This is the way my life works! Bad distributor. The gear was cut about a degree off, and it's caused metal shavings in my motor. NOT GOOD. I'll have to watch that. There wasn't much, but the shop said for sure should change the oil very soon. So the distributor knocked out my Ignition Control Module. Then they called me and said it was good to go, but really it wasn't because they couldn't keep it running and it had a horrible hesitation in it. They tested the brand new TPS sensor I put in, and the sensor was broken. It's supposed to have a tab that stops it from turning all the way around both ways. This one turned back. So thankfully I had the old one still and like I said before this shop is literally backed up to my house, so I ran and got the old one. Put it in and tested it and she's running like a champ now!

I drove her to work this morning, since I have to leave straight from here to pick up a travel trailer after work, and I really opened her up on the way! Man there is sooo much more power in this thing. So tonight I have to get a couple of brackets welded on, and that's about it.

The shop set her timing at about 12*BTDC for me too btw.

Lastly, I'm expecting a nice little goodie to arrive on my doorstep sometime Monday. WOOT!!

That's all for now.

WOW what a weekend. So I went camping this weekend which was why I was doing so much to the truck in such a hurry. I picked up the trailer Thursday night, so my wife could get it loaded for me since I had to work on Friday. So I picked it up and after dealing with the idiots at the trailer place I was on the road. Truck, I'm happy to report, pulled beyond my expectations. I was certainly not expecting it to be that smooth and that easy. Very happy.

I did have a hiccup this weekend though. I drove about 3 hours and had to get gas, I hadn't topped off before I left or I'd have been able to make it to where i was going for sure. But, after being on the freeway for 3 hours and it driving completely smoothly and pulling with minimal effort so it seemed, as I pulled off the freeway to the stop light, it was shuttering and running extremely rough. So much so that it took me a good 3-5 minutes of sitting there at the gas station, debating whether or not to even turn it off for the fear that it wouldn't start back up. But alas she came through for me and fired right up. I'm not 100% sure what the problem is, I think it's still a timing issue, but I got gas, got money for tolls, and got back on the freeway and had no issues at all. Drove as smoothly as it did before and pulled just as hard as it did before. So things were great.

Got to my destination and went to back the trailer in and I almost lost her a couple of times, but a slip into neutral and a little touch on the gas got her pepped right back up.

She sat for about a day and a half total before I started it up again. I even left the negative side of the battery off a while on Saturday thinking if it was timing the computer might reset and fix itself. No dice. But she drove home beautifully and I couldn't be happier with her performance right now.

I will be taking it back to the guy who fixed it the other day, and having him check it over and see what's going on. May be time to just break down and have the 460 rebuilt. Not much on the outside needs to be changed now, but the heart beat of it is not very strong I suspect. So we'll see what he says.

In the meantime!!!!!!!!!! LET'S START THE AUDIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I intend on getting started with the audio portion of this build here this week sometime. I'm excited to get it going!

Got a package today. First major piece of the build is here!

Says it's from Ohio. But what is it?

10505625_561234833985651_575318792899708

And here's another box with in the box. My dog looking at me like "yeah but dad what is it? Bones? Cause I could use a new one man!"

10418301_561234853985649_314798786739735

No Murph, it's 350 amps of pure Mike Singer Sexy!!

10371369_561234877318980_184332754445877

Oh that orange cap! YUUUUUMMMMMMYYYYYYYY

10275920_561234900652311_348825020847096

Sent me a harness too, among some other stuff. Couple of smaller decals and a windshield decal as well!

10456823_561234917318976_542729722189482

10464020_561234937318974_198014228425337

And this beauty.

10384760_561234970652304_618027211239994

Yep, Singer taking care of folks like we've all become acustomed to!

If i'm not wrong, the timing on that truck and motor should be 10* BTDC. Check under your hood to be sure.

truthsayer

Yes you both are right. It is 10*BTDC, and I had it adjusted to 12*BTDC and it was actually running really well, smooth, and actually the best it's ran since I've had it. I picked up the trailer on Thursday, pulled it home, and she ran fine. Still smooth and all. No rough idle or anything. I left Friday night, stopped at a few stop lights on the way out of town, and she was still purring like a tiger! It was after the 3 hour drive and a small mountain that I had to go over at about hour 2, then stopping at about hour 3 for gas and money is when I noticed how rough it was idling. It still drove and pulled fine when it was going, but when it was idling and sitting, is when it was really rough. If I put it into neutral, it will smooth out a little bit, but not much. And it's running rich. I can smell it.

Now, all that being said, when it was off the other day and I was looking for things, like the cam sensor, and broken vacuum hoses, etc, it had been so that the numbers on the balancer were up and it was sitting at almost (advanced like 2-3*) 0* or TDC. So, does that mean that it's adjusted itself back to 0* and needs to be re-timed? I'm wondering also if he did it with or without the spout connector in it. If he did it without, and it was at 0*, and he adjusted it with the spout connector out, would it adjust itself back to 0*. I'm guessing that makes a difference too. I was going to go out and check it out with my timing light tonight, but honestly, I was too tired and we had a nice relaxing night on the couch.

I'll get it figured out, but the bottom line is, it needs to be rebuilt eventually. Bored out, new cam, new heads, new pistons, valves, intake, throttle body, the whole shebang. Might as well if we're gonna keep her. Not like we're going to see any huge gas mileage gains out of it, so might as well make it run like a bull!

More fun to come. I'm always interested in your guys's input, as you well know by now. So if you have more on this, or an idea or suggestion, don't be afraid to speak up. You never know what your experience may do for someone else on here, if it helps me or not. Someone else may have an issue, see this and see your post and be like, "oh shit that's exactly what's going with mine." You all know that's how my threads work, it's not all just about posting for this build, but helping others, as well as learn myself.

As always thanks for all your guys's support.

I had as F-150 of the same year the did the same thing, it would stall out if I let off the gas. I just cleaned out the throttle body and it was good as new. Might work, might not but it's worth a shot, and it's cheap too.

Sexy alt you got there! Still going with the orange and black theme? Looks like you got some big plans for this beast and I'll be waiting to see your work. Need some pics of the truck though, would love too see it since this is my one of my favorite gens of the f-series.

It's like rubbing your wiener up against a sheep.

I had as F-150 of the same year the did the same thing, it would stall out if I let off the gas. I just cleaned out the throttle body and it was good as new. Might work, might not but it's worth a shot, and it's cheap too.

Sexy alt you got there! Still going with the orange and black theme? Looks like you got some big plans for this beast and I'll be waiting to see your work. Need some pics of the truck though, would love too see it since this is my one of my favorite gens of the f-series.

I'll try that but I do clean it regularly. I seafoam it at least every other month, and I think that's overkill. Maybe I'll pull the TB and clean it for real. Probably not a bad thing to do right.

I was originally going to and then I was kicking the idea back and forth about changing, but I think I will stick with it. It makes sense in my set up with the equipment I have. I will get some pics up tonight of it. I know I have some somewhere. I just got one the other day pulling the trailer. Looked so good and I thought I'd snap one off just in case. But I'll get a few more.

Archived