Buying New Processor

From my understanding after doing a bit of reading quad is intended more for gaming, and multi tasking applications.

you are exactly right. thats why i dont understand why some of you say the dual is better for gaming. go on any computer forum and look at the processors guys use in their gaming rigs. its almost always an intel quad core.

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

I just built a new computer for my self and went e8400 dual core, instead of the q6600 quad.

I am real happy with the dual even though theres some issues with the temp sensors not accurately displaying core temp.

I got mine at Microcenter. Seems they are out of stock too.

They had them for 189 when everyone had them for 225ish. Newegg didnt have them either when I bought all my other equipment.

Edited by toytrkdrvr

How long ago was this? When you purchased your E8400. Yeah someone had mentioned to me that microcenter had them for $189. I'm really leaning towards the E8500 though. The only place I actually found the E8400 at was at Amazon but they are selling it at a ridiculous price $295.

RF_power_product.gif

First week in February. Microcenters are out of stock now according to the website when you try to add it to the shopping cart.

Yeah, I know. I had already checked it out before. You name it I've checked.

RF_power_product.gif

lol. I wasn't aware Intel was coming out with a six core. That's awesome. That six core I imagine would be way out of my budget though. I thought about giving AMD a try but decided to go with Intel. Maybe next time I'll give AMD a try.

Ya AMD has been my one and only after i left intel a few years ago but gotta hand it to Intel for totally owning AMD on the new quads im sad that AMD is slacking :( sadly i may have to turn away and go Intel eeek!

you are exactly right. thats why i dont understand why some of you say the dual is better for gaming. go on any computer forum and look at the processors guys use in their gaming rigs. its almost always an intel quad core.

because almost every game only utilizes 2 cores, not 4 (half life 2 is the only one i know of that uses all 4). i thought the same...like 'shit this is a no brainer...this is a 4 core processor of course it's gonna be better' no so much...not all games utilize the 4 cores. they are more efficient with the dual core which is why we say to go with the dual core. just as far as gaming. i went on computer forums myself to do research and they said to go with the dual core for games. BUT...since he's not so hung on making his PC for games...he'd be happy with either chip (spend a lil more for the quad...and it'd last a lil longer than the dual perhaps...keep him from spending cash for upgrades also). he'd get good results for games...and good results for multi processing. since he's not worried about TOP TOP TOP notch for either...he'd be happy regardless. i'd just go with the dual core (for now) for better gaming processing.

Edited by ExpoSport