In the market for a new graphics card

Last night my 2 year old Radeon HD6790 took a shit. Had black lines across the screen, then the screen would reconfigure where the edges were middle screen (i could move my mouse to the right and would re-appear on the left side), then i started getting BSOD's, and the few times i could get to my desktop, there were pixelation issues with certain windows, then shortly BSOD's or black screens (loss of signal).

Basically looking for something to par with it, or slightly better. Would like to be able to play some newer games on it, could run most on ultra with the 6790 and not have frame rate issues.

Dell Inspiron 580

Maxim was super helpful a while back on helping me select, im not super computer savy.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

You can bake it in the oven and try to save it, if you don't mind TRYING.

There's a youtube tutorial on it (not your video card specifically).

550w PSU is a 550w PSU, what exact model is the PSU? That way we can see what 12v rail it can supply for your new video card.

Hope this helps shed some light :)

I've always been a fanboy of Nvidia. There's two reasons... Reliability & problem free software (dummy proof driver & firmware updates). I've ran into more than my share of issues with ATI alone and will never go back.

With that said, I recommend this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487028&cm_re=evga_gtx750_ti-_-14-487-028-_-Product

If it's out of your budget range, LMK. I'll TRY to find a cheaper alternative.

Price per performance.... ATI > Nvidia, I will admit that, but nothing beats reliability.... On top of that, EVGA offers a 3-year warranty on their cards. I still have my GTX570, which comes with a LIFETIME warranty on it. Till this day (I think I purchased in 2010) is still up and running like a champ.

GL!

I've always been a fanboy of Nvidia. There's two reasons... Reliability & problem free software (dummy proof driver & firmware updates). I've ran into more than my share of issues with ATI alone and will never go back.

With that said, I recommend this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487028&cm_re=evga_gtx750_ti-_-14-487-028-_-Product

If it's out of your budget range, LMK. I'll TRY to find a cheaper alternative.

Price per performance.... ATI > Nvidia, I will admit that, but nothing beats reliability.... On top of that, EVGA offers a 3-year warranty on their cards. I still have my GTX570, which comes with a LIFETIME warranty on it. Till this day (I think I purchased in 2010) is still up and running like a champ.

GL!

Some may call me an Nvidia fanboy too, however I will say I have owned both. I had a 7990, many of you know that as a 6gb dual card beast...it sucked down power, produced epic amounts of heat and honestly although it raped games, it pales in comparison to nearly all nvidia products I have owned. Sure on paper the specs of everything ATI makes is better than Nvidias, more ram, more shader cores, higher clocks, then a lower price. I went from a Sapphire 7990, to a Asus 780ti a card nearly $300 cheaper and saw incredible gains in fps, reliability, cooling, and support for new technology. Sorry if this is a random rant, just my experiences. If budget is an issue to get you by until you build a new pc in the future, I can't dissuade you from ATI and that is a good thing, do what is best for your situation.

06 GP GXP

Google Nexus 7 16gb

Rockford Fosgate 3SIXTY.3

*Electrical*

DC Power 320a HP

2 - Juicebox Bananas g31

Stinger SPP2250 rear

Kinetik HC1800 side of wall

Optima Red Top front

Monster Cable 1/0, 2 runs to rear

Monster Cable 1/0 Big 3

2-Rockford Fosgate T1652S's

Rockford Fosgate T400-4

Rockford Fosgate T40001bd (4693rms @1ohm)

4-Sundown SA-15 D2's wired @ 1ohm/These are on the way out for 4 one off Eminent Audio 15's

15.2 cubes net tuned @34hz! Walled off

DBdrag official 151.6db @46hz

GXP Build log!:GP GXP Walled

Quality is the sign of a true enthusiast!

Refs: Link to leave more: http://www.stevemead...91#entry1603091

Bought from: Trippi (RF T2500bd, T1000-4),bre2ts (25ft Knu 1/0)

Sold to: shmew22 (T1500bdCP), Rev. Wrath (RF 3SIXTY.1), trjohnst (Knu 1/0, 3 fuse holders), Enemyofsilence (Audio Technix, RF T400-4).

The best choice will depend on your budget. Something like the 750Ti as xxgokouxx recommended is a good bang-for-your-buck card and should perform very similarly to your 6970 that you had. If you want more performance for the same price you can look at something like AMD's R9 270 which should offer you more performance than your 6970 for ~$160-$180 depending on which manufacturer's card you look at.

Radeon R9 270: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600473898&IsNodeId=1&name=Radeon%20R9%20series

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

770 GTX, if you keep your eye on craigslist you can find them for around 270ish, I just got the Asus model, and upgraded from two 470 GTX's to 770 GTX and a 260GTX (physx) and its pretty fucking awesome. Its about 50% faster than 470's in SLI. I also wrote a quick and dirty graphics guide here on the forum.

Archived