Second Skin Audio

What if an enclosure is too big for the subs?

Ektro

But anyway I was just wondering what happens when subs go into the wrong size box.

Mechanical power handling of the sub is reduced. Not necessarily a bad thing just dial back your gain so you don't bottom out.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

He told me anytime he does DC builds, it's always harder than it has to be.

He probably doesn't like dc

So HE makes everything harder

It's not the brand it's him

I would fix the box before

Because if anything happens first thing he's going to blame is going to be the sub

When we know it's not

Two things:

If your designer ended up with a box that was 10 cubes and was shooting for 7, he's an idiot, that's no where close.

The second is, there is a lot more to it than just adding wood inside of the box to eat up airspace. Every time you do that, you're going to drastically raise your tuning. If you eat up 2-3 cubes, your tuning is going to be so far off, the subs will sound like trash.

Furthermore, an improperly sized box is far more than just reducing the mechanical power handling of the subs, it does much more than that. Frequency response with a wack enclosure will be all sorts of goofy. You may have a one note wonder on your hands. Bandwidth would be seriously affected, potentially, by such a large box. It could become to the point to where the subs were no longer acting as if they were in an enclosure, as opposed to just free air if they can't pressurize the space of the enclosure.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

He told me anytime he does DC builds, it's always harder than it has to be.

He probably doesn't like dc

So HE makes everything harder

It's not the brand it's him

I would fix the box before

Because if anything happens first thing he's going to blame is going to be the sub

When we know it's not

It sounds to me, the guy handed his builder the design, the builder built it(or actually just assembled since the wood was already cut at Home Depot), and the end product was off because of the design. The design seems to be in question here, not the builder.

Can we get dimensions of the box and dimensions of the port, including length of all the port(if there is a bend in it)?

We may be able to help you determine what you're ACTUALLY tuned at, as well as your net airspace.

He builds boxes for all brands, he just seems to have bad luck with the designs made for DC subs. He wouldn't blame the subs, he is really laid back guy. He'd blame himself before the subs if the box wasn't spot on.

Yes I think the designer was a little off his game that day but the builder has made boxes with wrong designs and was able to fix them to make the cubes right so I'm not entirely worried about my box sucking!

That is a LOT of volume to displace. Whatever your port dimensions are, they'll need to change so you have a reasonable tune.

For example, a port that's 6" wide by 15" tall in a 10 cube net box, for a 35 Hz tune would be around a 9" long port. That same port dimension in a box that is only 7 cubes, would yield roughly a 43 Hz tune. My estimates are pretty crude without knowing your box or port dimensions and length.

Archived