Sonic Electronix

BK1800.1D AMP Keeps Going In Protect Mode

I bought a BK1800.1D amplifier and ONLY hooked up with 0 gauge power wires and the remote turn on wire. The positive wire is hooked straight to the battery with a 150amp fuse, and the negative wire is about two feet long and bolted to a stock bolt in the trunk. I sanded down the paint before attaching it. For the remote wire I have an Add-A-Fuse plugged into fuse #32 in my 2006 Acura TL with a 20amp fuse in the top slot, and a 7.5amp fuse in the bottom slot.

When I turn on my car the amp powers on and goes into protect for a few seconds, then out of protect for a few seconds, and continues this.

I then connected the positive on the amp directly to the remote power on. Same thing as above.

Is my amp bad? Did I do something wrong?

To confirm:

Amp protects with no RCAs and no speakers hooked up?

Do you have a multimeter? Confirm voltage at the amp terminals with the car off, and car on - both in protect and just before

To confirm:

Amp protects with no RCAs and no speakers hooked up?

Do you have a multimeter? Confirm voltage at the amp terminals with the car off, and car on - both in protect and just before

Amp protects with no RCAs and no speakers hooked up.

When the car was on the voltage of the power terminals at the amp was 12 and the remote turn on 11, when it was in and was not in protect. I didn't have a multimeter with me that could read decimals.

Should the AMP turn on properly when it only has power and remote wire hooked up? My friend can't get over the fact that it's only going into protect because the RCA and Speaker wires are not connected... Even though I tried with those connected, too.

It should power up with just power remote and ground.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

So with your car running the amp is only seeing 12v? If the car is running it should be seeing in excess of 13v or more

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Fi Audio BL 15 (Sealed Off)
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400
- SkyHigh OFC power/speaker wire
- Big 3 with SkyHigh 0gauge
Build Log: Click Here

Scores: 146.5db @ 29hz Outlaw

So with your car running the amp is only seeing 12v? If the car is running it should be seeing in excess of 13v or more

I found another multimeter and when the car is on it measured 14v, both when it was and was not in protect.

With nothing else but power/remote hooked up to it, going into protect, with good voltage at both power inputs and remote wire, the only thing I could conclude is a bad amp :(

Archived