GassenD Posted June 11, 2014 Report Posted June 11, 2014 Currently I have a JVC KD-R300, I've had it for about 4 years and in 3 different vehicles.. http://www.audiosavings.com/products/Website/JVC-KD-R300-In-Dash-Car-CD-MP3-Player-Radio-Stereo-Receiver-W--Front-AUX-Input/KDR300---TS1223.aspx A few people have told me that I should get a better HU to have a better Preamp Voltage for my amp.. This one has 1 set of outputs and 2.5V. How much of a difference would it make if at all, if I went with maybe a Kenwood with 3 sets of 4V Outputs? Also I've heard that JVC HU's preamp voltage is worse than what they advertise? '97 Explorer2 Sundown SA 15's SQ 2200D Kinetik KHC1800 (Front) Kinetik KHC 2000 (Back) KnuKonceptz 1/0 OFC 130A Alt + Big 3
bcbrassard Posted June 11, 2014 Report Posted June 11, 2014 IMO is about the cleanest signal of the HU and gain matching to the amp. Thats what makes the DD-1 so nice. Even if you have a low volt signal you match amp gain to that signal. Its all about the cleaness IMO.
GassenD Posted June 11, 2014 Author Report Posted June 11, 2014 IMO is about the cleanest signal of the HU and gain matching to the amp. Thats what makes the DD-1 so nice. Even if you have a low volt signal you match amp gain to that signal. Its all about the cleaness IMO. So I'm probably better off just keeping my current HU and putting that money into a DD1 Instead? '97 Explorer2 Sundown SA 15's SQ 2200D Kinetik KHC1800 (Front) Kinetik KHC 2000 (Back) KnuKonceptz 1/0 OFC 130A Alt + Big 3
bcbrassard Posted June 11, 2014 Report Posted June 11, 2014 ? do you like your HU? Does it have all the functions you want. What does your system consist of? What are your goals? How many amps are you running? Tons of info to determin if you need a new HU?
GassenD Posted June 11, 2014 Author Report Posted June 11, 2014 Yeah I don't mind my HU, does what I need it to.. Current System Amp: Hifonics BRX2000.1DSubs: 2 Sundown SA 15's (D4, wired down to 1 ohm) Box: 6.6 Cu ft^3 @35 hz 1 Kinetik KHC 1800 (Front) 1 Kinetik KHC 2000 (Back) 130 Amp Alt Big 3 All KnuKonceptz 1/0Awg OFC wiring But i'm getting ready to send the Hifonics back and go with probably a SQ2200, still debating on a few other amps.. I'm going to be throwing a 4 channel in down the road when I get around to it, but as of now just the 1 amp.. '97 Explorer2 Sundown SA 15's SQ 2200D Kinetik KHC1800 (Front) Kinetik KHC 2000 (Back) KnuKonceptz 1/0 OFC 130A Alt + Big 3
bcbrassard Posted June 11, 2014 Report Posted June 11, 2014 SQ makes a quality product for a great price point. I am running 2 HDS310s and way happy with them. Hit low, get loud and look sexy doing it. And a nice 4 ch would be sweet for your mids & highs. Hell i like my RF power amps & speakers but for what i paid there is other great stuff out there for less. The Pioneer 80-PRS is one of the best HU out there for $240. Runs active or standard with 5v pre-outs and doesnt distort. It what i run fully active 12 speakers.
GassenD Posted June 11, 2014 Author Report Posted June 11, 2014 Yeah I had an old crappy Dual 4 Channel a buddy of mine threw in my explorer and it made a world of difference.. Even though the amp burnt up (probably bad tuning) in a few months it sounded way better.. So I may end up getting one of the SQ 4 channels they have, when the time comes.. If I do end up keeping my current HU, what would I need to do to "boost" the preamp voltage to split the RCA's for my Mono and a 4 channel? '97 Explorer2 Sundown SA 15's SQ 2200D Kinetik KHC1800 (Front) Kinetik KHC 2000 (Back) KnuKonceptz 1/0 OFC 130A Alt + Big 3
GassenD Posted June 11, 2014 Author Report Posted June 11, 2014 I guess I could end up getting like a EQ/Line Driver? Would that work to boost my RCA's Voltage plus let me run another set of RCA's for a 4 channel? http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6655_Clarion-EQS746.html '97 Explorer2 Sundown SA 15's SQ 2200D Kinetik KHC1800 (Front) Kinetik KHC 2000 (Back) KnuKonceptz 1/0 OFC 130A Alt + Big 3
Krakin Posted June 11, 2014 Report Posted June 11, 2014 Pre-amp voltage being higher doesn't mean the quality of the signal is going to be better, in fact with a higher voltage it becomes easier to introduce noise into the signal, distorting it. That being said I have noticed some really nice SQ head units have high pre-amp voltage. But correlation does not mean causation. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
Weigel21 Posted June 11, 2014 Report Posted June 11, 2014 Odd, I was always under the impression that a higher preamp voltage rejected outside noise better. Though it's my no means the sole reason for opting for one HU over another. Still, a higher voltage preamp will allow for a lower gain setting so the amplifier may work less to produce the same power. This could in turn allow the amplifier to run slightly cooler which can help with reducing the likelihood of sound degradation due to heat build up in the amplifier.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.