Second Skin Audio

Old-School RF 15" Punch Power Sub-woofer build log

Awesome writeup! :good:

I love the old school refurbing!

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

The little one! What is it? I want a build RF 8 sooooooo bad. Lol That was what I was going to ask about when I was hinting about a special project.

I am not sure exactly what motor it is, just know it's a RF. And I'll sell it, PM me about it if you want

Great job on the build Trent. Did you cut those spiders out to fit 4" or were they made to fit?

Thanks man. I cut them, they were originally 3" ID. (I couldn't find any 8" x 4" progressive nomex, so I made them!) But it works out just fine long as you cut them near perfect.

It almost makes them a semi-progressive roll. But it has an awesome sound to it now for sure, and gets super loud.

Awesome writeup! :good:

I love the old school refurbing!

Thank you sir, same to you!

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

how much?

i have 2 z v.3 motors i never got to build because they wouldnt work to make sq subs

Well I'm not sure. I just ordered coils for them... (D2 ohm flat aluminum)

And why couldn't they be built for sound quality?

too much motor force.. thats what PSI told me

how much?

i have 2 z v.3 motors i never got to build because they wouldnt work to make sq subs

Well I'm not sure. I just ordered coils for them... (D2 ohm flat aluminum)

And why couldn't they be built for sound quality?

too much motor force.. thats what PSI told me

Well I like Dave, a lot, but I may have to disagree with him on that. Unless he meant "too much motor force with stock frames and coils"

The motor force can be different based on the parts used. Mostly the coil and spiders.

IMO they could be built as SQ based drivers, however you would need to use TI baskets. Or baskets that allow 10" spaced spiders.

Actually I think I'll text Dave now, and continue this discussion with him. He is a very smart guy. And hey I could be wrong...

Edit: Oh and if you wanna trade motor for motor, I'm down.

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

this is what he said

I dont think that these strong motored subs are going to sound good in any 4th order, especially with tons of power. Run them in a ported box and they will sound a lot better in my opinion.

maybe because i want to do a bandpass

this is what he said

I dont think that these strong motored subs are going to sound good in any 4th order, especially with tons of power. Run them in a ported box and they will sound a lot better in my opinion.

maybe because i want to do a bandpass

Yeah he hasn't answered my email yet. I'm just confused a little bit,

Didn't irpirate run 4 zv3 15's in a 4th or 6th order in his build, on big power? (2 - 4500's @18volts)

I could have sworn he did, and had very awesome results. If I remember right, he swapped out with other subs, like Fi SP4's, and lost output & sound quality.

I'll see if I can find it.

But yeah I'm building a 4th order bandpass box for my Solo X 12, which is very similar to a zv3... just won't take as much power as the zv3 will.

And I have 2 Zv3 motors on the way, that I'll be building here soon, (probably as 10's or 12's.)

So I wanna know if I'm missing something here...

My guess is that he thinks the moving mass w be too stiff to perform well in a bandpass. But from what I've seen they do well... I think?

Anyone care to chime in on this subject? Opinions are welcome! (especially if you have owned zv3's and/ or ran them in a 4th order)

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

My opinion is that they HAVE SUGGESTIONS for a sealed enclosure listed right there on their website. The EBP kind of DOES sway toward the vented alignment. The 12 has an Fs of 47.2 and Qes is .50. I don't know if they loosen a bit, but I heard that Jacob said a decently worn in driver should dip into the lower 40s for Fs. The bigger Zv3s can do 4th BP enclosures better, likely due to the lower Fs of a big driver.

I would build a quickie with a single driver to see what you thought of the response IN the vehicle. That easy you save some time before potentially putting a bunch of effort into something you may not be happy with. I know you dude, and you take your time on your builds and are anal and meticulous. I seriously would hate to see you invest so much time into an enclosure that may not be what would ultimately make you happy and proud of.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Archived