BigTomZ Posted June 12, 2014 Report Posted June 12, 2014 So I am looking to clean up my sound a bit. I am getting a distortion at certain mid range frequencies. They aren't bass frequencies, and only happen when certain things are being played. I can hear it even if I back off the volume a little. I hear it most with pianos and guitars, especially clean guitars. It seems to only be at a specific frequency range. I did some Google searches and can't seem to pin it down. I had the same thing on my last build. I just lived with it. It was my daily driver for a decade and nothing bad happened to my speakers. Then again what is loud enough for me may be pretty tame compared to some the members here. This time I have more money to work with and don't want to live with it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it is and what would be the best way to get rid of it? I know I am a newbie. I hate asking for help before contributing much, but hopefully someone will be cool enough to give me some advice. 2003 Lincoln Town Car Alpine IVE-530 head unit Alpine MRX-M110 sub amp Alpine MRX-F65 full range amp 3 Cerwin Vega Accurate Image 12.0 subs 2 CDT HD-M6 mid-bass woofers 2 Alpine Type R coaxials (looking for a good component solution) 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis Alpine head unit JL Audio 500/1 sub amp JL Audio 300/4 full range amp 3 Alpine Type S 10 inch subs 4 Boston Acoustic coaxials
trumpet1 Posted June 12, 2014 Report Posted June 12, 2014 If your panels are resonating to certain frequencies that noise can be mistaken for a speaker issue. Even with extensive acoustic treatments I still can play certain songs that make my front doors want to "talk". The opening guitar part in Tool's "H." is very difficult to get right because of the resonance. Piano covers more frequencies than any other instrument, and that is also extremely challenging for any audio system.
gckless Posted June 12, 2014 Report Posted June 12, 2014 Yeah I was gonna say the same thing, it's probably not distortion in your speakers, it's probably something rattling. "Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand. My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/ High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography
_paralyzed_ Posted June 12, 2014 Report Posted June 12, 2014 So... the answer is trying sound deadening if you don't have any.
Noel989 Posted June 12, 2014 Report Posted June 12, 2014 So... the answer is trying sound deadening if you don't have any. And make sure your panels are tight and are not hitting anything Build Log - http://www.stevemead...-cruiser-el-pt/
BigTomZ Posted June 13, 2014 Author Report Posted June 13, 2014 Thanks! That makes sense since this happened with my last build also. My last build was a Grand Marquis so I was working from pretty much the same platform. 2003 Lincoln Town Car Alpine IVE-530 head unit Alpine MRX-M110 sub amp Alpine MRX-F65 full range amp 3 Cerwin Vega Accurate Image 12.0 subs 2 CDT HD-M6 mid-bass woofers 2 Alpine Type R coaxials (looking for a good component solution) 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis Alpine head unit JL Audio 500/1 sub amp JL Audio 300/4 full range amp 3 Alpine Type S 10 inch subs 4 Boston Acoustic coaxials
Guest Posted June 13, 2014 Report Posted June 13, 2014 So I am looking to clean up my sound a bit. I am getting a distortion at certain mid range frequencies. They aren't bass frequencies, and only happen when certain things are being played. I can hear it even if I back off the volume a little. I hear it most with pianos and guitars, especially clean guitars. It seems to only be at a specific frequency range. I did some Google searches and can't seem to pin it down. I had the same thing on my last build. I just lived with it. It was my daily driver for a decade and nothing bad happened to my speakers. Then again what is loud enough for me may be pretty tame compared to some the members here. This time I have more money to work with and don't want to live with it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it is and what would be the best way to get rid of it? I know I am a newbie. I hate asking for help before contributing much, but hopefully someone will be cool enough to give me some advice. Perhaps some deadener and a nice active EQ will make those clean guitars sound clean I am sketchy about that alpine Ive-530 too but cannot really say anything as I do not have one In the reviews ive read I do not see anything special about its EQ capabilities
SIDE SHOW Posted June 13, 2014 Report Posted June 13, 2014 Also keep in mind a lot of cd's and recordings these days are shocking quality, make sure it's a decently recorded cd. sound deadening should fix/hide the problem if it's not caused from the source
BigTomZ Posted June 13, 2014 Author Report Posted June 13, 2014 Perhaps some deadener and a nice active EQ will make those clean guitars sound clean I am sketchy about that alpine Ive-530 too but cannot really say anything as I do not have one In the reviews ive read I do not see anything special about its EQ capabilities The EQ capability is pretty limited on the IVE-530. I am sure I could benefit from an active EQ. I will have to give that some consideration. 2003 Lincoln Town Car Alpine IVE-530 head unit Alpine MRX-M110 sub amp Alpine MRX-F65 full range amp 3 Cerwin Vega Accurate Image 12.0 subs 2 CDT HD-M6 mid-bass woofers 2 Alpine Type R coaxials (looking for a good component solution) 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis Alpine head unit JL Audio 500/1 sub amp JL Audio 300/4 full range amp 3 Alpine Type S 10 inch subs 4 Boston Acoustic coaxials
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.