Second Skin Audio

Subs up, Port back really the best for suv's?

kowboy

if your not looking into pounding it out in the lanes and just want a good groundpounder then I would do port and subs back. That way you won't have to worry about loading issues with the roof.

can you explain more about loading issues with the roof?

If the sub or port is pushing air to the rear doors, It has nowhere to go but forward. As a rule it will allow it to be louder and sound better. When it loads to the roof you have all that air space to have swirl around and some of it can be lost and not make it's way up front.

Sound is all about waves. The bigger the wave the better the ride

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

so thats why its loud with subs up ports back cause the port waves is pushing sub waves forward

Subs- 2AA Arsenal 15sAmps- Orion2500d/MemphisDoors- Infinity kapa/AA polymids(soon)Deck- Pioneer PrimerBox- 3.5 per chamber!!!!!!!!/28hzElectrical- two optima red tops/160alt(big 3 soon)OHIO BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would 4" between the port and the door be enuf for sub up port back? I believe 4-5" is all I'll have left after my enclosure is in. And it will go about 5" over the window line but will still be even with the seat. The port will be in the middle but even when it fires back , I have barn doors on the back so its a split that it will hit (wont fire right on the window)

00114-1.jpgTEAM MechMan Alternators

There's no set rule on how far it has to be to get the max sound out of it without testing but if I was boulding a GP box for a client then I would leave about 4-5" to the back

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

I've read it's good to keep an average of 3-5"

Yeah most of the time you can't go wrong with that. the key is to test and test

• 5 years later...

if your not looking into pounding it out in the lanes and just want a good groundpounder then I would do port and subs back. That way you won't have to worry about loading issues with the roof.

can you explain more about loading issues with the roof?

If the sub or port is pushing air to the rear doors, It has nowhere to go but forward. As a rule it will allow it to be louder and sound better. When it loads to the roof you have all that air space to have swirl around and some of it can be lost and not make it's way up front.

Sound is all about waves. The bigger the wave the better the ride

Thank you so much for that dude. I dont mean to cut in, but I just built a box today for 16 year old kid with a Tahoe. I have the box in my living room cause we called it a day, and I just realized that I'm not sure if I should mount the speakers on top of this Slot port box. He has 2 DD 2512's on a Rockford T1000. the box is 18high 21depth 37wide slot port 30.6Hz 2 port walls 14.5 x 15.25 spaced 3 inches apart. Like I said I wasn't sure If the 24" of chamber depth would be too much, and If I should just mount them up on top where it will only have 16.5"chamber depth(help). DID I go too big? I asked and was told do a bigger box for lower wattage. COULD you please spare some of your wisdom on my situation.Anything would be much appreciated

R.I.P...99'Dodge Grand Caravan

03 Lancer Oz

Big 3

HU-JVC KD-530

RCA's-rockerfosgate

41/2 inch Infinity mids

Subs-(12's)2 Orion xtr124

Amp-Coustic600se

battery-2 x stock, 1x Shuriken SK-BT20

Box-L-ported 3.562cubes@35Hz

miscellaneous-stinger volt-meter, gain nob, (coming soon bass pro,eq,line drive)

I dont have flex yet but damn I sound good,(coming soon....flex)

Check out my HHR install

Everything I install or build here:http://s1160.photobu...s/q485/MrBfree/

Also video's of my Car with the new box.http://www.youtube.c...lentGyge/videos

I typically only do larger airspace when the subs are running under the RMS rating. It's a good way to get an effective output with limited power. Anytime I have more power then rated, I shrink up the box to help control the sub movement. It's a fine line between making the box smaller and having it too small to have good output.

Archived