Second Skin Audio

Sundown x18s

TRON

I hate to start another one of these "help with my box" threads but I've hit a wall.

Got two x 18s on a DC3.5k in a 10.5 cu`ft enclosure with ~185 cu`in of port. Tuning is ~30hz. Doesn't get low at all, or at least not a well as what I figured due to all the talk about X's. I know that they don't do well in the 40-60hz range, not concerned about that.

Not enough volume? Not enough port? Do a 4th order? Do the cabin acoustics of my truck not work with my setup? Kind of annoyed with the performance.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

WIth what you describe you should be tearing up the lows. Maybe not nasty hair trick style but still... something doesnt add up right. What are you wired to (ohms) ?

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

WIth what you describe you should be tearing up the lows. Maybe not nasty hair trick style but still... something doesnt add up right. What are you wired to (ohms) ?

1 ohm...tuned to -5db gain.

You have an avalanche. Pretty much the same as my silverado. Fucker won't get loud to save it's life. Also up the net area to about 12 cubes

This is what I'm beginning to think. I probably should have walled her up. I had 15 cubse before hand...but I cut It down to 10 thinking it was too big.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

i had 1 x 18 in 6.3cbft at 32hz with 90" of port and it played 25-45hz very well, kinda wish i shrunk the port more cause it was originally tuned to 35 with 100" of port. Aim for 12-12.5cbft with 170-180" of port at 30hz and i bet youll be happier, unless its just your truck?

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows

i had 1 x 18 in 6.3cbft at 32hz with 90" of port and it played 25-45hz very well, kinda wish i shrunk the port more cause it was originally tuned to 35 with 100" of port. Aim for 12-12.5cbft with 170-180" of port at 30hz and i bet youll be happier, unless its just your truck?

It may very well be my truck. What style of port did you use? Slot? I've got 3, 4" areo-ports.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

The port you currently have is slot, or the 3 4" aeros?

Three 4'' areo ports...roughly 6 in long.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Well, you don't currently have a ported box. You have a leaky sealed box. You DO not have 185" of port(cubic inches is not the proper statement, rather square inches). You have 37.68" of port currently, roughly 5 times less port area than recommended for those subs. Plug the ports up and I guarantee an improvement in performance and output. That, or get those subs in a box with around 200" of slot port.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Archived