Mixing alternators?

The alt with the higher charging voltage will do all the work until the one working harder matches the charging voltage of the smaller one, then they will work together from then on.

You can mix alternators just fine.

Say alt 1 is stock, charges at 14.0v and does 80a

Say alt 2 is aftermarket, charges at 14.8v does 300a

If you put a 350a load the 14.8v will eventually come down to 14.0v due to 300a not being enough (plain ole voltage drop), then alt 1 AND alt 2 will work together therefore giving you 380a now, and the voltage drop will stop.

It is a little more complex than that, but that is the gist of it.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Any time anything is run at 100% it will lead to deterioration. Just as true for alternators as human organs. How much is something you can't just calculate. Do alternators break down when you exceed alternator output and drops to battery voltage?

None of the good ones :)

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Right.....so MY 430 amp alt plus another alt, lets say 330 amps, seeing a 700 amp load. The smaller alt will be working to maximum capacity while MY 430 amp alt isn't? Or does the smaller alt, when approaching maximum output begin to be less efficient, therefore requiring more from the bigger alt?

Wow what happened in this thread. Just run them op there will be zero issues. Some guys run 320 alts with a stock alt

2000 Toyota Camry With Sealed Off Trunk

Sky High OFC Wiring

DC Power 270 XP Alt

AQ 2200 Sub Amp

Two DC Level 4 m2 12s

80 Mil Murdetmat

Gathering Parts For Wall Build.

Team DC Audio 2014 Member

Archived