Sonic Electronix

Upgrade to a 12 that can handle more power.

i would keep the type R

those subs look like they have improved over the years. just throw 1200w at that.

if it were me id build a new box before i waste money on an SA. I wouldnt be able to say for sure if the SA is hat much better.

I think he said he blew it.

oh, didnt see that.

The box isn't prefab. It's built to spec, never really liked the way it sounds. I am leaning toward the dc level 4. I think the vc equipped or something on my type r. It pops even at low volume at low freq. Doesn't seem to be dragging our anything. Kinda rolling with it right now, it's in the trunk so I can't really hear it haha...Shitty regardless. I wanted to put it in my girls car.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking a dc level 4 at this point. My amp is 1600w at 1 ohm so will be perfect. Any recommendations on a box size for the level 4?

AQ3500.1
15" Fi SP4
1/0 Knuconceptz Power/Ground

1/0 Sky High Big 3 Upgrade
Pioneer AVH-4200NEX
XS Power D1200 Underhood

Intimidator Gel In Trunk

CES 250A Alternator

You should be measuring the available space you have for a box, then choosing a sub that will work well in that space, not the other way around. I mean people do it all the time, try to cram the prettiest sub they just seen in a space that probably wasn't meant for it and it works out, but it's not the right way.

Just wondering, why DC level 4? And you should go and measure the space you want to give up.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

Definitely make sure its not a prefab box. An SA will sound similar to the type R. X is probably what you want.

An SA sounds dirty compared to a type r, they are much louder though because of the cone material and the pole plug pretty much let's you abuse the crap out of it. They even have a longer coil then the type r's.

Fi SSD, DC Level 3, Tantric HD, Sundown X, AA Havoc, American Bass XFL, DD 3512, C2 Threatcon-2, CT Sounds Strato, Soundqbued HDS300, SSA Icon, DSS Ethos. lots more to list..

I'm looking at the DC level 3.... Rated at 900wRMS? How much do you think that sub can really take daily? I've been running 1200w to this type r and it just blew on me the other day. Pretty hesitant to overpower a sub again now haha. Yes gains set with a DD-1. I am thinking of going up to a level 4 but the cost diff is significant. Also, says the level 4 can go in a 1.5 cu ft box? That seems small considering my alpine box is 1.75. Also, since my box is already that size could I just swap subs and be ready to go??? Any help appreciated thanks.

You will have a hard time blowing all those woofers you listed compared to a type r. Let me guess, your coil froze? It's common if you clip type r's. They are 2.5" round coil with no pole plug. No way they will take clipped power or even 1500 @.10%. Like everyone stated, look at a 3" coil sub.

Buy an Sq/SD/fi/aa/ab and you won't have to squeeze your ass or pull off tricks just to be loud.

Definitely make sure its not a prefab box. An SA will sound similar to the type R. X is probably what you want.

An SA will sound nothing like a Type-R. LMFAO It will blow it out of the water.

not true. last week i made a kid want to trade his sa 12s for my rs. his exact words were "why is yours so much louder, i even have more Watts"

I'm sorry but I've heard numerous sa set ups.. dual ten trip tens single and dual 12s my cheap Lil rs play Lower and louder!

let the hate flow but I swear I'm not lying.

that said i don't think rs are loud. hence why I'm.selling them.

op upgrading from a sub that handles 1000w to a sub that takes 1200w isn't gonna do anything special.

its like going from a $1000 dollar car to a $1500 car. yea I'm sure one might be a Lil nicer but the cheaper one might be faster.

if you want a increase that is worth it get a $2500 car do you know what I'm saying?

look for deals on subs that have a msrp around $400 that will be worth the upgrade.

or I'll sell you my rs...

this exo is taking forever!

R's are a good woofer for the money. But everyone is running around with single SA's burping the 143+ hell there is even a few people doing 150 on the single 15. I would imagine though it sounds like shit.

Now after all of the info im starting to lean toward the Fi BL12, the power handling is perfect, I like the options, and people seem to really like them. I measured my trunk gives me about 2.6 cu ft. My measurements are 28wx14hx27l. I noticed on the Fi site there are many options for the woofer that i am curious about. What would be the advantage of a flatwind coil? Is the Carbon fiber dust cap just for looks? I would be using it for daily use and I drive long distances daily for work so I will most likely get the cooling options, It states that the SPL version is extremely strong... Anyone know the difference in the sub between daily and spl? I know I have a lot of questions, I appreciate all of the input. Im gonna start saving up for this bad boy and build my first legit box in the mean time. Any design help would be cool, I'll post something of what I'm thinking possibly tonight.

AQ3500.1
15" Fi SP4

Pioneer AVH-4200NEX
XS Power D1200 Underhood

Intimidator Gel In Trunk

CES 250A Alternator

not true. last week i made a kid want to trade his sa 12s for my rs. his exact words were "why is yours so much louder, i even have more Watts"

I'm sorry but I've heard numerous sa set ups.. dual ten trip tens single and dual 12s my cheap Lil rs play Lower and louder!

op upgrading from a sub that handles 1000w to a sub that takes 1200w isn't gonna do anything special.

its like going from a $1000 dollar car to a $1500 car. yea I'm sure one might be a Lil nicer but the cheaper one might be faster.

if you want a increase that is worth it get a $2500 car do you know what I'm saying?

look for deals on subs that have a msrp around $400 that will be worth the upgrade.

R's are a good woofer for the money. But everyone is running around with single SA's burping the 143+ hell there is even a few people doing 150 on the single 15. I would imagine though it sounds like shit.

there are kids burping 150s on rs as well.

not to sound like a Dick but burping a 150 really isn't impressive! a kid just did a 144 with 2 type r 8a on 211w so these kids doing 150 with 2 12s on 2000w well.... like i said not impressive! I'm not hating on the sa line they are good subs. but the rs and sa are almost the same damn thing. blind taste test you couldn't.tell the difference.

oh.and about finding the biggest meanest sub and then figuring out air space be careful! that's what i did. i bought the biggest baddest sub i could afford then realized i didn't have the room. luckily i don't give a damn about my car and took a electric saw to my trunk And Made the box fit. don't do what i did!

i don't know much about The fi options, but the bl is a bad azz sub! i was just telling someone here how a kid had one on a saz 2500w amp in a dodge nitro and was doing hair tricks. yup one 12 2500w hair tricking. there great subs!

Saturday i just heard my first 18inch fi bl that thing got lowwwwwwww

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

there are kids burping 150s on rs as well.

not to sound like a Dick but burping a 150 really isn't impressive! a kid just did a 144 with 2 type r 8a on 211w so these kids doing 150 with 2 12s on 2000w well.... like i said not impressive! I'm not hating on the sa line they are good subs. but the rs and sa are almost the same damn thing. blind taste test you couldn't.tell the difference.

oh.and about finding the biggest meanest sub and then figuring out air space be careful! that's what i did. i bought the biggest baddest sub i could afford then realized i didn't have the room. luckily i don't give a damn about my car and took a electric saw to my trunk And Made the box fit. don't do what i did!

i don't know much about The fi options, but the bl is a bad azz sub! i was just telling someone here how a kid had one on a saz 2500w amp in a dodge nitro and was doing hair tricks. yup one 12 2500w hair tricking. there great subs!

Saturday i just heard my first 18inch fi bl that thing got lowwwwwwww

I respect your opinion. Hearing about kids doing 150db with a pair of 12" R's is impressive. I have never heard of that done ,especially with my knowlage and training directly through alpine,150db on any small coil mainstream pair of 12's is amazing.

I am mostly leaning toward the Fi for the cooling and daily driver options. I did read something that the cooling options could affect low end, anyone agree/disagree with this? I have been abusing this Type R and it has finally had it haha, nice little pop coming from it when low freq hit. Wish I didnt blow this thing i like the SQ of the sub. I am goin with the BL12 for sure, with a flatwind for higher power cap. I guess my only questions left are for the cooling options. If anyone could shed some light on that it would be appreciated. Probably order the sub sometime next month. Still looking for ideas for a ported box with the dimensions i gave last post if anyone has built one or has any suggestions for the BL enclosure lemme know. Thanks errbody.

Anyone know what the universal option is?

AQ3500.1
15" Fi SP4

Pioneer AVH-4200NEX
XS Power D1200 Underhood

Intimidator Gel In Trunk

CES 250A Alternator

Archived