I have a 2003 Durango with the 4.7L V8. Earlier today going into town noticed the oil gauge was low, all other gauges looked normal. So I pulled over and checked the oil, it was showing to be low. So I added another quart of oil and it was all back to normal. Now after being home for a couple hours the dipstick is now saying there is too much oil. Taking it to town on Monday to get fixed (hopefully). Anyone have any ideas in the mean time?

if you checked your oil while the car was running or just turned off it will always say its low since the oil was pumped to the top.. always check oil with car off and has been off for a few minutes to an hour

if you checked your oil while the car was running or just turned off it will always say its low since the oil was pumped to the top.. always check oil with car off and has been off for a few minutes to an hour

The engine had just started so it wasn't warmed up yet. Of course I shut the engine off when I checked it.

Why are you taking it somewhere to get fixed. If you have to much oil just remove some. If you do not want to drain the oil. Just use a shop vac on the dipstick tunnelto remove some oil.

I used the shop vac on my sisters hummer, did'n't want to drain all the oil. Shop vac method literally took 1 second. Just suck it out the dipstick tube, that's quickest and easiest method i can tell you.

truthsayer

Is your oil pressure gauge one with numbers or just a high and low type gauge?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

1. Lower oil pressure at idle is normal. Oil pumps are a volume based pump. Higher rpm, higher volume through the same oil channels/holes = higher pressure. Opposite at lower rpms

2. How did you check oil? How low was it? Proper way to check oil is to shut the car off, wait 5 mins, pull the dipstick out, wipe it, re insert, pull it out again. Measure oil from the lowest film on the dipstick. Ex: pull out the dipstick, one side says full, the other side says halfway. Your oil would be at the halfway point... You'll see some hash marks, the oil should be between these two. If it's at the low has mark, generally 1.0qts will bring it to the full mark

Slightly overfilled isn't an issue so long as the oil isn't foamy

Why are you taking it somewhere to get fixed. If you have to much oil just remove some. If you do not want to drain the oil. Just use a shop vac on the dipstick tunnelto remove some oil.

I used the shop vac on my sisters hummer, did'n't want to drain all the oil. Shop vac method literally took 1 second. Just suck it out the dipstick tube, that's quickest and easiest method i can tell you.

I'm taking it some place cause before today all gauges read normal and I want to know why this one was off today.

I;m not sure what your concern is. You sad gauge was reading low because the oil was low. You then put in oil and said everything was reading normal. And you think you have to much oil now, so just remove some oil. Sounds like your gauges are functioning like they should. not sure why you would take to a shop if the gauges are reading normal.

truthsayer

Archived