Second Skin Audio

Which subwoofer is more appropriate for a 500rms amp? Edited and opened to all manufacturers.

philrab

I read the rules, this isn't a vs. thread (one manufacturer vs. another) but a question of which of Sundown's subwoofers is more appropriate for my build.

I'm leaning towards beefing up my sub stage after I get my four channel amp installed. My concerns are...

A. I've got my amp dialed way back because it's a 500rms amp, but my stealth enclosure has an Image Dynamics ID8 rated for 150 rms. It all balances out pretty well now, but once I get my four channel in I may want/need more sub stage output to keep balanced with the mids. That, and my ID8 isn't driving down quite as low as I'd like.

B. 500 watts RMS is really about all I can or want to throw at the sub stage. My electrical (pending finishing the big 3) isn't going to happily support more than 500 rms for the subs, and I am trying to keep from blowing my planned budget with batteries/alternator/1/0 wiring, ect. to support a bigger mono sub amp.

C. This is a daily driver, I love my audio, and I listen to a bit of everything on my hour work commute (occasional rap, electronic/dubstep, grunge, alternative.)

I'm also wanting a nice balance of SQ and output, but I don't really care what this thing does on a meter (will probably never see one). I was thinking an SA10 or SA12 in a ported enclosure built to Sundown's specs would fit the bill nicely, but I see the E10 and E12 rated for 500 rms vs. the SA's rated for 600 (though I understand the SA's will take quite a bit more). So, I'm open to ideas for Sundown E series or SA series, what enclosure design would be most appropriate (sealed or ported, don't think I want to bite off a bandpass enclosure build) baring in mind my power limit is 500 watts (@2ohms).

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

You will probably see better output with the e series since you are giving them recommended power. It's difficult to tell unless you do a direct swap.

03 Sable LS

AA mayhem 12" D2

Sundown ZV4 12" D1

Tantric HD 12" D2

Tantric SHD 12" D1

Sundown X12 V2 D2

2.5 cu net

Sundown 2000d @ 1 ohm

XS Power XP2000

Sky High Sound Deadener

Sky High wire

Stock alt

You will probably see better output with the e series since you are giving them recommended power. It's difficult to tell unless you do a direct swap.

That's kinda where I'm wondering. Obviously the SA is beefier, higher power handling, more Xmax, ect. Most other lines of subwoofers I've seen the line between various ranges as far as power handling is a bit wider than 100 watts rms. If the RMS of the SA line was say 700-750, no question that's more than would work in this application. Being only 100rms difference, hence the question.

That's one vote for the E series over the SA. Anyone else with an opinion? Better question, ported or sealed? How do the E series sound in a sealed enclosure?

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

That's kinda where I'm wondering. Obviously the SA is beefier, higher power handling, more Xmax, ect. Most other lines of subwoofers I've seen the line between various ranges as far as power handling is a bit wider than 100 watts rms. If the RMS of the SA line was say 700-750, no question that's more than would work in this application. Being only 100rms difference, hence the question.

That's one vote for the E series over the SA. Anyone else with an opinion? Better question, ported or sealed? How do the E series sound in a sealed enclosure?

In order to determine whether you should do ported or sealed you need to give your goals response wise. The majority of people will like the output of a ported box rather than a sealed box because it sound much louder on the specified frequencies.

03 Sable LS

AA mayhem 12" D2

Sundown ZV4 12" D1

Tantric HD 12" D2

Tantric SHD 12" D1

Sundown X12 V2 D2

2.5 cu net

Sundown 2000d @ 1 ohm

XS Power XP2000

Sky High Sound Deadener

Sky High wire

Stock alt

Why not get the SA and build a bigger than spec enclosure to account for the low power and gain a little bit of efficiency.

Current setup in my 96 Hoe

Hu - Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Amps - (4) Crossfire C5 1700D's, MTX Thunder 5604(mids), PPI Art 300.2 (tweets)

Batts - 4 91ah rear batts, 50ah batt up front.

Subs - 2 Crossfire XSv2 18's

Alt - Singer 330A

Front stage - Random JL & Eclipse mids, Eclipse tweets

Damn I've never heard of any system not being able to support more than 500 rms.

If you have ac, power anything (seat, windows, etc...) you can support more than 500 rms

Im for the SA

On 500 rms, the SA has a bit more motor force, and in any given size box, the SA should be louder.

2.25-2.5cf ported tuned to lows 30s will sound so nice

are you totally set on SA though?

I say the Obsidians sound a tad bit better than the SA's musically

In order to determine whether you should do ported or sealed you need to give your goals response wise. The majority of people will like the output of a ported box rather than a sealed box because it sound much louder on the specified frequencies.

I know output increases with a ported enclosure, had a pair of RF 10's in ported enclosures years ago. Had the same subs in sealed enclosures too. Ported was loud, but on the relatively low power I had them on the sealed enclosures lacked the output I wanted. Having a sealed enclosure in my current car, I like the tight response, just wanting more output and power handling. To me, it's all a tradeoff.

Why not get the SA and build a bigger than spec enclosure to account for the low power and gain a little bit of efficiency.

That's kinda where my mind was going. If I go SA, I'll go to the max dimensions for box recommendation, or a little over if sealed to make up the power difference.

Damn I've never heard of any system not being able to support more than 500 rms.

If you have ac, power anything (seat, windows, etc...) you can support more than 500 rms

Im for the SA

On 500 rms, the SA has a bit more motor force, and in any given size box, the SA should be louder.

2.25-2.5cf ported tuned to lows 30s will sound so nice

are you totally set on SA though?

I say the Obsidians sound a tad bit better than the SA's musically

I know from other owners my Mazda3 doesn't have a lot of headroom in the alternator department, and I'll be running a JL 320.4 for mids and highs. That and the Kenwood 500 rms amp will put me right around 800 rms. I don't want to go over 1000 without more electrical upgrades than what I'm already planning. May be able to get away with it, but better safe than sorry.

SD line.

What's the benefit of the SD over the E or SA? I know they work in smaller enclosures, but enclosure size isn't as much a determining factor here as power cap. I have a fairly large hatch, and plan to yank this box any time I'm going on long trips with the family and need all the hatch space. That's why I'm keeping the 8" in the stealthbox installed, to swap back when the big sub/box becomes an issue.

I've seen most people on this board lean towards ported enclosures (not just for the Sundown Audio subs, but most) for more output/SPL. My question is, how do they sound sealed? Do you lose a lot of output? Do they sound tight and controlled in ported enclosures?

Build Thread

Archived