Second Skin Audio

ok shit dont make sense

brent379

And see I originally was running 4 10s in about 5 cubes with 2 6" aeros and it did good! No port noise what do ever! Then when I decided to change it up and just see what 2 could do... I built a box that was 1.4 cubes after displacements and I figured if I used 2 6" aeros for all for tens then 1 6" aero should be plenty for just 2 10s and it failed. never understood why really.. in 1.4 cubes...a single 6 inch aero should have had about 10- 11sq in of port per cube per sub right?

You had 4 tens in 5 cubes, then 2 tens in 1.4 cubes. That's a lot less space. Smaller box builds up a lot more pressure which would lead to the port noise. 2 - 2.5 cubes with a 6" wouldn't have had those issues most likely. It's all trial and error in the end.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

I can't really speak for aero ports but when I have used slotted or square ports there is such a thing as "too" much port area. Isn't is true that you wanna keep it down enough to have back pressure? I know my last box I went for 16 per cube and hated it. Went down to 10 and loved it

Back pressure? No. 10 inches per cube? No. You had other issues IMO.

Port area is dependent on the driver, and a few other factors.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

People most of the time don't use software to tell them how much aero port they need, they used experience. Me personally, like to do a single 6in flared PSP aero port per 15 when I had 2 DC 15's on 2 Nendo 2kd's. Programs would say that has too high of a port velocity, but in real testing, I had zero port noise, and great response from about 22hz up to about 55hz. I even wrote the box specs down and saved them due to how much I liked the box.

I kinda agree with this. My first wall was 3 15's and 3 6" PSP aeros. Sounded fucking great.

Enclosure failed before I could test other ports, though.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Robert...I guess I didn't think about that till now. Makes perfect sense tho.

After thinking about this for a while I think I'm going to take the 6th order out and try out these tens the 4 cube box and see what happens! Fuck it. I can only write then at 2 ohm because at .5 it's bad news for them lol so at 2 ohm after rise and all they won't even be seeing 1000 rms. And if I blow them o well...I'm looking for different woofers anyway.

So I think I'm going to do 4 cubes with an 8 inch aero and some big flares and just see what happens :) if that don't work then I'll go to 2 6 inch aeros and see what happens!!! I've been wanting to experiment for a while. I might even try to find a way to temporarily seal the box of from the trunk just to see how that does to!!! Gorilla tape and a couple layers of cardboard should do :)

Anyone have any advice on the best way to make some flares for an 8 inch sonotube from home depot?

Glue them into a layer or two of MDF then roundover the MDF with a router and the biggest roundover bit you can get your hands on. That's how I'd do it.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I was kind if thinking about making the basic form out of some tin foil and painters tape...that way I can get the exact size and flare I want. Maybe even get a swimming pool noodle then putting some tin foil over that and shaping it then making a mold and south it out a little and see what I can come up with

Robert...I guess I didn't think about that till now. Makes perfect sense tho.

After thinking about this for a while I think I'm going to take the 6th order out and try out these tens the 4 cube box and see what happens! Fuck it. I can only write then at 2 ohm because at .5 it's bad news for them lol so at 2 ohm after rise and all they won't even be seeing 1000 rms. And if I blow them o well...I'm looking for different woofers anyway.

So I think I'm going to do 4 cubes with an 8 inch aero and some big flares and just see what happens :) if that don't work then I'll go to 2 6 inch aeros and see what happens!!! I've been wanting to experiment for a while. I might even try to find a way to temporarily seal the box of from the trunk just to see how that does to!!! Gorilla tape and a couple layers of cardboard should do :)

since were on the topic of a huge 8inch flared port....

IMG_20140722_203447_146_zps133a3628.jpg

for my new 15 EXO. yes that's a sonotube... and lots of time and effort to make that flare!

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

I think there is some confusion in terms, OP. You mentioned that you ran two tens isobaric but your descriptions don't lead me to believe that's the case. Isobaric alignment means that you couple the pistons of two subs together (usually facing one another), effectively creating one woofer with twice the motor force each of the two would have independently.

isobaric.gif

You talked about going from 1.25ftⁿ per sub to .7ftⁿ per sub in your example of tens. That will not only change the amount of vent area you need (because you changed cone area) but it will also drastically change low end extension... negatively. I don't know what your goal was with that change but a reduction in volume should normally only be made if you desire higher SPL at higher frequencies or, obviously if you had too much to begin with which you likely didn't have with 1.25ftⁿ per.

Also, port area per cubic foot is not a golden rule, it's an incorrect way to calculate vents. Vent area is more dependant on xmax, cone area and tuning frequency than box volume. As an example, one 8" sub with 16mm of xmax needs about 10-15in² of vent area while one 15" sub with 10mm of xmax will only need 7-12in² of vent area. And those variations are tuning dependent, not volume dependent.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

No sir there was no confusion of terms anywhere. I'm Definately no expert but I'm not a noob either. When I said they were ran isobarically in 1.4 cubes after displacements... they were loaded front to front and I actually built two different boxes. First one was with the aero...And then the second with a slot port. And I know port area is not a golden rule and that it is driver/xmax/power/ and tuning frequency dependent. That's why in the op I talked about vent velocity and such with winisd.

Archived