How to get into car audio.

Keep your day job and do installs in your spare time, that's what I do. It's not lots of money, maybe $100 every other week for an enclosure, but the experience is more valuable.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Keep your day job and do installs in your spare time, that's what I do. It's not lots of money, maybe $100 every other week for an enclosure, but the experience is more valuable.

That's kinda my plan as well.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

That's what I eventually want to do is open my own shop or own my own business doing installs. I just figured it would be good for me to get a job installing officially than doing jobs for friends and see if there is anything I can learn from others who have been installing longer than I have. Of course I always get ideas and learn new things from the great guys here on the fourm but I just want some hands on experience.

please take this as experienced advice. I see shops open and close all the time. I see the good and bad of those shops. the number one reason why those shops close is they don't charge customers correctly and they always (i means always) misquote installation times. I work with a guy who says he can do a radio install in 15 minutes if he didn't have to answer to phone or questions from customers or questions from guys on the sales floor. he always quotes customers 1 hour for any vehicle. customers always complain about this. yet I quote 3 hours for any vehicle and any radio. yeah 3 hours seems like a long time to do a radio but that gives me the time to correctly do the install, answer the phone if it rings, answer walk in questions, trouble shoot if something goes wrong, and when the customer gets it before the 3 hours it becomes a good sign b/c you said 3 hours but got it to him in less than quoted time. I get guys in all the time that complain about my prices and about my quoted times as well as tell me they can do it their self. yet those guys are always the ones that ask me technical questions b/c they are in way over their head. like I said before you need to get your MECP Basic and go get a job at your local Best Buy so you'll see a lot of what you'll be doing if you own your own shop as well as see how to charge and operate a shop. I'm not saying that Best Buy is the best place to start but it's a good starting position. I'm about to be Master MECP certified and I'll be the first to tell you that MECP certification doesn't really mean that much when it comes to install quality but an MECP certified tech is more likely to not mess up the install in the first place and if they need to correct it they can find the issue easier. There is a big difference in being an installer and being a place that just hooks up wires. There is reason why all shops always try to poach installers from Best Buy instead of trying to hire their own.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

it's not what you think. I promise you. I work in a shop and I helped one person run their shop years ago and helped another get his shop up and running. keep in mind that it's all about speed when you work in a shop. are you more concerned about becoming a better installer or just be an guy that connects wires? i'm an installer and I turn away business all the time b/c I refuse to sacrifice my quality of work b/c you're impatient or cheap.

Had that done to me. Guy refused to be fast, which I'm okay with. I want it done right, not a rush job. Problem is, he didn't know shit. Got it all fixed now BUT other problems...

Sheena = pedobear

Archived