Sundown Audio

Amp settings finally correct?

dawgs007

After having done research and inputting my own system limits, I think I have finally found proper and logical settings for my amplifier.

The amp is an RF Prime R1200-1D and I have it powering 2 12" P3 in a 4.3cu.ft. box. The amp is running at 2ohm final load. The HU puts out 4v RCA at full tilt.

My settings are as follows:

Gain: ~4

SSF: ~33.75hz

HPF: ~80hz

Punch EQ: 0

Does that appear alright? I understand gain is probably slightly high, but I can deal with that.

I'm more curious if the freq. boundaries (SSF,LPF) appear correct.

Current Setup: 2002 Ford Focus SE (stock electrical)

-Kenwood Excelon KDC-X397

-Infinity Kappa 6x9's in each door

-Rockford Fosgate Prime R1200-1D

-2 12" Rockford Fosgate P3D2

Backups:

-12" Power Acoustik Mofo-122X in 36hz T-Line box

-Soundstream Piasso P1.1200D

How did you set your gain? How do you know that your head unit outputs 4v at full tilt? Did you measure that output on the RCA's with a DMM or o-scope? Or are you just going by what the box specs for your head unit are? If you measured it, the only way to know its a clean unclipped, undistorted signal is with a o-scope or DD-1. As for your filters, no one can really tell you how to set those to your listening preferences. That's a test and tune to find out where you want your signals to cut off at. Find out the frequency response of your subs, and set the SSF no lower than the lowest frequency your sub is rated for, and the LPF no higher than the max rated frequency. And then adjust both higher/lower from there until it's to your liking.

How did you set your gain? How do you know that your head unit outputs 4v at full tilt? Did you measure that output on the RCA's with a DMM or o-scope? Or are you just going by what the box specs for your head unit are? If you measured it, the only way to know its a clean unclipped, undistorted signal is with a o-scope or DD-1. As for your filters, no one can really tell you how to set those to your listening preferences. That's a test and tune to find out where you want your signals to cut off at. Find out the frequency response of your subs, and set the SSF no lower than the lowest frequency your sub is rated for, and the LPF no higher than the max rated frequency. And then adjust both higher/lower from there until it's to your liking.

The subwoofer is from 27-250. I'm not concerned about the 27hz lpf, but does the 80hz hpf seem low? Again, I know it's based mostly on preference, but does the 80/250 seem logical?

Backups:

Set the SSF at 27hz then. The subsonic filter means frequencies lower than that setting are filtered out of the signal. If you have the subs for bass, you shouldn't be worrying about a HPF. HPF filters out low frequencies, LPF filters out high frequencies. So set your LPF lower than 250 to your personal taste. In order to know exactly what it's being set at, buy a CC-1. You're asking for information that depends on your preferences. But looking at the number of topics you've posted in the last week asking questions that have been answered over and over in other posts, I'm going to assume you have no idea what the maximum clean voltage your head unit really puts out, or if your gain on your amplifier is even set remotely close to correct, what the SSF or LPF or HPF actually do. You need to do more research and reading on how everything works and how to get the most efficient clean power out of your setup. No two setups are the same, but if you take the time to read how other people do theirs, you'll understand how to set your system up. What proper tools you will need, what switches and buttons and knobs do different things on head units and amplifiers and crossovers. Do more research. And then when you finally come across something that no one else has asked or it hasn't been answered, then ask your question.

search is your friend...... keep reading and learning

After a couple of hours playing around with it, I think I've found my sweet spot in the settings.

Backups:

Archived