Sonic Electronix

Apparently by ear is better, huh? :facepalm:

Idiot2_zps0e167292.jpg

This guy... He's going places.

Idiot1_zps9eae4b9b.jpg

Current Setup: 2002 Ford Focus SE (stock electrical)

-Kenwood Excelon KDC-X397

-Infinity Kappa 6x9's in each door

-Rockford Fosgate Prime R1200-1D

-2 12" Rockford Fosgate P3D2

Backups:

-12" Power Acoustik Mofo-122X in 36hz T-Line box

-Soundstream Piasso P1.1200D

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lulz, some people will never get it.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

By ear with test tones can be quite effective, though the Trey's comment made me laugh.

The DD-1 will indicate when 1% distortion is detected, though one can use various strength test tones, which will result in different gain settings. One can use the -15dB tone, -10dB tone etc etc, but they will still result in clipping the system. Lots of frequencies throughout songs are recorded at stronger levels than -10dB and with these frequencies one runs a high risk of clipping, if they are bumping the system at the levels used t set the gains.

One could opt to use a -3dB or -0dB tone with the DD-1, but then they are going to run into the issue of have low output from the amplifier over a large spectrum of a song, but they run near no risk of clipping.

In the end, the DD-1, an O-Scope, by ear, etc etc will NEVER result in allowing optimum output with music with no risk of clipping. Until the day come were there is an auto adjusting gain, users will have to choose to run clip free with lack luster output or find their happy medium of satisfactory output/ unwanted clipping ratio.

By ear with test tones can be quite effective, though the Trey's comment made me laugh.

The DD-1 will indicate when 1% distortion is detected, though one can use various strength test tones, which will result in different gain settings. One can use the -15dB tone, -10dB tone etc etc, but they will still result in clipping the system. Lots of frequencies throughout songs are recorded at stronger levels than -10dB and with these frequencies one runs a high risk of clipping, if they are bumping the system at the levels used t set the gains.

One could opt to use a -3dB or -0dB tone with the DD-1, but then they are going to run into the issue of have low output from the amplifier over a large spectrum of a song, but they run near no risk of clipping.

In the end, the DD-1, an O-Scope, by ear, etc etc will NEVER result in allowing optimum output with music with no risk of clipping. Until the day come were there is an auto adjusting gain, users will have to choose to run clip free with lack luster output or find their happy medium of satisfactory output/ unwanted clipping ratio.

I'm inclined to agree there. With very little gain, boost, etc. it seems like my system is fairly flat (RF Prime 1200). With just a little boost, it seems to have so much more life to it.

Backups:

Noobs leading noobs here. LMFAO.

In the picture or on the forum? lol

Backups:

Guess I must be specific.

Weigel21 stating that tuning subs by ear is just as effective as using the dd-1.

And, you Dawg, agreeing with it.

I, too, must be specific. I agreed that you have to find a happy medium between satisfactory and distortion levels. Not that the method is just as effective.

Backups:

So tell me, how so is the DD1 or an O-Scope more effective than using test tones and one's ear?

If you wish to be yet another sheep in the flock buying every device claiming to get you proper gain settings to avoid clipping, by all means, spend away. If that's what you need to sleep at night, it's cool with me.

There is no way in hell an O-Scope or a DD1 will get you a clip free gain setting unless you have the gain set so low as to have lack luster output.

Archived