Sonic Electronix

i already posted a method to seeing when you are playing to clipping. you just never saw it

you need a VU meter that you tune to the output of the amp. when the red lights light up you know that song is clipping

How can I prove you wrong when you haven't proven anything?

I'll be honest I've never understood why some people use a 40hz tone and some use a 50hz tone when music is dynamic

I personally think it should be a pink noise to set gains

I haven't said anything about it because I don't have the knowledge,skills,tools, or the means to test my theory

And I don't go around talking out my ass if I can't back up what I'm saying

Hopefully you understand you don't get flamed because you don't agree with everyone else but you get flamed cause you can't back up your statements

We never said the DD-1 was a clipping meter. It finds the correct gain match at 1% distortion. Distortion and cliipping are not the same.

This thread like many others is a simple lack of research about SMD tools and what they can do for you.

Accurate? To what degree? Two where I am getting within .001% or whatever of a watt of clean power before distortion with whatever strength tone is being used? No, surely not. Have I ever claimed this is the gets you ever spce of clean power to allow win after win in comps? No. Is every member on here into SPL competition? Surely not.

I said I have use a DMM to check voltage output before, but that is not something I have always done or always do. I was aked what I have done to prove (to myself I guess) that such a method is accurate. Well, those are the things I have done. I has a Fluke DMM given to be years ago that I used to use to set gains with using the DMM method, but then i begain to have numerous people wanting me to install cheap gear with inflamed specs. Then just a few years ago the Fluke gave up the ghost and i replaced it with a cheap $60 DMM. No idea just how accurate it really is, but the manufacturer claimed 1% +/- in accuracy on AC voltage.

After having used test tones to set gains for a while, I began to check with a DMM less and less. And besides, one doesn't "need" a DMM to set the gains using that method, so why mention a tool they would have to buy when they specify they haven't the cash to buy a tool designed for nothing but setting gains for 2-3 times the cost.

I am gonna leave this thread alone now. You seem to believe digging a ditch with your hands is just as efficient as using shovel.
We are obviously not gonna change your mind. I only ask that you don't stop others from buying tools that will help them with their systems.

How can I prove you wrong when you haven't proven anything?

I'll be honest I've never understood why some people use a 40hz tone and some use a 50hz tone when music is dynamic

I personally think it should be a pink noise to set gains

I haven't said anything about it because I don't have the knowledge,skills,tools, or the means to test my theory

And I don't go around talking out my ass if I can't back up what I'm saying

Hopefully you understand you don't get flamed because you don't agree with everyone else but you get flamed cause you can't back up your statements

The DD-1 doesn't use Pink noise, so it must be just as flawed, huh.

I have read through the manuals and seen many of Meade's videos, I still believe there are other ways to do the same without his tools, though they can make the task much easier. It was after reading the manuals and seeing the videos that I was convinced they weren't worth buying at the time. They have since gone down in price, but I'm not so sure I'm all that up for buying one yet.

True, distortion and clipping are not the same. clipping will have a squared off wave, but distortion can have a nice rounded wave yet have an anomaly in the downward or upward curve. Distortion doesn't often occur too far before clipping. With a HU, finding it's maximum clean volume level will likely be two clicks before the clipped output. It'd be interesting for someone to use a DD1 and Scope to find maximum clean output of a HU. it'd be interesting to see just how far before clipping most HU's produce distortion.

Same can be said of gains on an amplifier, though once more, (While "I" can't prove it) there has been evidence that a Scope got the same gain setting as using one's ears with a test tone. now it's quite possible the output had distortion the user of the Scope couldn't clearly see, but from what video's I've seen, the DD-1 doesn't detect distortion before it's able to be clearly seen on a scope, so...

No, you will never change my mind, only I have that power.

and I have never once stopped anyone from buying a scope or DD1, I have only given an alternative option for setting gains effectively when one asks how to go about doing such and specify they haven't the means to get a hold of a Scope or SMD product.

Archived