Question about HO ALT and 2nd Battery

irecommend getting the biggest alt you can afford that will fit in your car. Adding batteries is not a substitute for adequate source amperage. When your car is running the alt is your power source not the batteries. Once you are dipping to battery resting voltage or below you have already exceeded the capacity of your alt, not to mention reduced output due to volt drop.

Even if the bigger is "slightly" over budget I would try to get it. Also,room for future growth. If you're going to dump several hundred bucks into an alt...it may as well be full beast instead of half beast ;)

Just my thoughts. Good luck with your build!

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

Unless your playing with the car off a lot its pointless and just another connection to add resistance.

Oh and with an isolator they wouldn't be mixed/wired together. The would be isolated so your still wrong by the definition of isolation.

How the heck are you going to mix them? Put them in a pot and mix them with a spoon?

Wow, someone got mad.

To answer the question.

Technically when you hook batteries together you are essentially creating one bigger battery from the 2 smaller batteries. So in a since they are combined into one battery.

Op spending more on a bigger alt means less on batteries. The bigger alt will help provide power where as a battery will only store power. Its best to spend the extra on the alt rather then more on the batteries.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

The spending more on a bigger alternator makes a lot more sense. I will still need a decent battery under the hood will I not? Or should I see what the one I have can take for now and upgrade the battery later if I need to?

I guess what I'm asking is, if I buy the 320a ALT would the XS Power D3400 under the hood be enough. I believe right now I have an Interstate MT-85 CA-780 CCA-625 RC-95

I would get the alternator then the upgraded stock battery. The agm battery will help without a doubt.

Realistically the 2 sub amps should be pulling between roughly 80-120amps each. Plus the door speaker amp. I don't know what your car needs but u would guess in total you would be near 240-280amp range daily on music. A second single run of good 0guage and the big 3 in 0guage with a 250-300 amp alt and agm under the hood should be good.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Archived