Second Skin Audio

Using free on-line box calculators

Deeznutz

Hello, I just received my 4th Coustic subwoofer today. Now time to make yet another box! I have a question about the carstereo.com free calculator. I want to build another box with a square port and this is the info I'm getting.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

PORT Size Calculations and Formulas for WOOFER and Subwoofer BOXES Vent Dimensions Calculator Formulas Minimum Usable Vent Diameter The first thing you should do when calculating a vent is to determine how big it has to be. "Port noise" can ruin the sound of an otherwise good enclosure design. If you do not have the Xmax figure for your driver(s), leave the default value (it is an average value suitable for most subwoofers).

If you want to use this calculator, first choose what size driver(s) you are using, then enter how many are in your enclosure. Now, enter your Xmax figure (in millimeters), and the frequency that you need to tune your vent to. And, finally click the "Calculate Minimum" button to get your results. The "Minimum Diameter" box is for round ports, and the "Minimum Area" box is the minimum area required for a square vent. If you need to convert a measurement to/from English/Metric click here, then come back.

Driver Size (Inches) 12
Enter Quantity of Drivers 4
Enter Xmax 11.4 mm
Enter Tuning Frequency1x1.gif 32Hertz

Minimum Diameter = 10.09inches

Minimum Area =1x1.gif 79.94 inches

Length of a side
for a square vent =1x1.gif
inches Calculate Your Vent Length
To use this calculator, first you will need to choose whether you want a round or a square port. Then, enter your internal box volume (in cubic feet).

Next, you enter either an inside diameter for the tube you are using if you want a circular port, or the inside dimensions of the square port you are going to build into your box (make sure you click the "Slot Port" button if you are designing a slot port - if you don't understand the difference between a square vent and a slot vent, clickhere). And finally, press the "Calculate Length" button at the bottom, and your answer will appear in the "Vent Length" box.

1x1.gifSelect Your Port Type
Square
Quantity of ports 11x1.gif
Enter Enclosure Volume1x1.gif 7 (ft3 )
Enter Desired Tuning Frequency 32 Hertz
Enter Desired Square Vent
Enter Height
Inches 8.94 inches
Enter Width1x1.gif Inches 8.94 inches

Vent Length Inches 23.04 inches

A 9" square port x 23" long? for 4 12's? Does it sound right?

I already made a 7.75" port x 23.75" long port for a 5.25cf box last week. The box sounds great, no port noise what so ever, just not knowing if I am doing this right or not to begin with!?

IMAG5357_zps2caf4865.jpg

I have read alot about port areas being 300 square inches or something so the velocity is 30m per second, etc. Just need info if I am doing this right??

Thanks in advance.

-Frank

No experience with them, but their spec sheet is calling for a whole LOT of port area per sub/per cubic foot.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Per cubic foot is not a way to figure how much port area you need.

The calculator at the top of the first post is a fairly accurate way to find out how much is needed.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Per cubic foot is not a way to figure how much port area you need.

The calculator at the top of the first post is a fairly accurate way to find out how much is needed.

I know it's just a rule of thumb, but going off the manufacturer's recomendation they're calling for a fairly large port for a single sub in 1.25-2.0 cu ft boxes. Just saying off hand that looks like a lot more port area than what the OP is running, but if he hasn't had issues with port noise....

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Archived