OrionStang Posted September 14, 2014 Report Posted September 14, 2014 Im only using Torres at this point to get a general idea, and I can't find a volume/tuning/port area combo that I like. Also, I have zero Sundown sub experience. Max dimensions are 33Wx14Hx28D. Won't need near all of that, i'd like to keep depth close to 24". Sub will powered by an RF2500-1bdcp. Sundown suggests 2.50cu ft tuned to 32 with 40in of port area. I'd be happy with tuning up to 34. Biggest issue I have is port length to achieve low tuning. Not sure how much port area I could sacrifice to shorten the port. Anyone knowledgeable with this sub? Please assist. SMD Super Seller My Feedback Thread
tdsa23 Posted September 14, 2014 Report Posted September 14, 2014 You running Sundown now? XS Power D5100, 2 D2700s, & 2 D975s MechMan 220a Alt DC 5K Kicker 650.4 2 12 Ascendant Audio Mayhem's Pioneer DEH-P7200HD Rockford Fosgate 3sity.1 Build log: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/166792-88-nissan-maxima-trunk-build/#entry2430899 https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/191439-lexus-is300-fi-crescendo-shca-rf-pics/
OrionStang Posted September 14, 2014 Author Report Posted September 14, 2014 You running Sundown now? Not set in stone, but I might pick up this sub. No clue on how much I can vary from Sundowns suggestions on the stated power. SMD Super Seller My Feedback Thread
RainStryke Posted September 14, 2014 Report Posted September 14, 2014 On a work computer at the moment and would love to help, but I do not have sketchup to see the deminsions of the box they made. Just plug the numbers into this calculator and you will get your answer under Slot Port Length Calculator: http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp
OrionStang Posted September 14, 2014 Author Report Posted September 14, 2014 On a work computer at the moment and would love to help, but I do not have sketchup to see the deminsions of the box they made. Just plug the numbers into this calculator and you will get your answer under Slot Port Length Calculator: http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp Im looking for real world builds that may vary from what Sundown suggests. Basically, I am trying to avoid a 40" long port. Thanks though. SMD Super Seller My Feedback Thread
RainStryke Posted September 15, 2014 Report Posted September 15, 2014 To achieve a shorter port it would need to be wider for a slotted port. You could also go with a circle port instead, those allow you to extend the port beyond the box to achieve lower frequencies.
OrionStang Posted September 15, 2014 Author Report Posted September 15, 2014 To achieve a shorter port it would need to be wider for a slotted port. You could also go with a circle port instead, those allow you to extend the port beyond the box to achieve lower frequencies. I know you're trying to help, but I am aware of all this. Im no NooB. I am looking for input from people who have personally used the sub. Real world success/failure says much more than a computer program. SMD Super Seller My Feedback Thread
Triticum Agricolam Posted September 15, 2014 Report Posted September 15, 2014 I did a box for a 10" Z.v4 on the same amp you are using a while back. I used 30 sq in of port for it and I wouldn't have wanted to use any less. For a 12" sub you would need about 48 sq in of port area to have equivalent port velocities. Probably not what you wanted to hear. The good news is if you use a 48 sq in slot port with three common walls the port only needs to be 35" long according to the port length formula I use (which I think is more accurate than Torres). "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
slowfkncar Posted September 15, 2014 Report Posted September 15, 2014 Enclosure L-24 W-26 H-14 / port L-34 W-3 1/4 H-12.5 3/4" MDF /double baffle face/threaded rod bracing I have had very good luck with this enclosure with both the zv3 & zv4. I have tried and own 3 spare enclosures of the same net space but different tuning. The zv4 is the loudest in my trunk on the enclosure i listed above. It loss a tad of output in the 35hz box,the zv3 gained output in the 35hz box. I suggest trying to fool around with tuning in your car and see what you like best. This was in a trunk on a saz3k.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.