Sonic Electronix

Hello everyone I will try to make this short. I have an 02 expedition with a stock 130amp alt running a Hifonics BRX 2400 @1ohm and a Hifonics 640.4 @4ohm. I have a duralast gold 750CCA starting batt and a yellow top optima in the back isolated by a stinger relay. Big 3 is done with 0ga wiring and 0ga is ran throughout the truck to the optima batt in back and amp rack. 0ga is also ran to the BRX 2400. I'm being told my OEM alt won't last but people are blown away that my voltage never drops below 14v (not sure if I'm driving the system hard enough) but the signal is loud and clip free. In my install I made sure my wiring was done correctly and grounds were solid and it's been about a year running this power with no issues. So my question is do I need an HO alt? I called mechman to get a quote and I can get a 240amp for $349 (great price) but I don't want to spend the money if I done have to. Please give advice. Thanks

If you never drop below 14, then no. But I'm surprised you don't drop at least into high 13's. Where are you measuring voltage from.

2007 Ford Focus SES Hatchback

Pioneer HU

4 Digital Designs 9515i's in a B pillar.

2 Soundstream XXX 15K's (running at 16 volts)

Soundstream Mids/Highs in custom door panels (getting rebuilt soon)

Soundstream TA2.160 and TA2.400

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Winston Lithium (not a fan)

Bump4Life 250 Amp Alt. aka USAlternators

Soundstream Focus and Avenger Build Log

Instagram @p4linnovation

YouTube: Team Blowin Loud 

if you're reading 14v on the dash needle, its wrong. you need to measure voltage at the amp power terminals.

edit: if you're measuring voltage at the amp, you're not pulling more than a few hundred watts.

I have a stinger voltmeter wired directly to distribution block and dash mounted the display. I also checked with my handheld voltmeter and get the same reading

Are you checking with the multimeter during playback? If not I'm willing to bet you have more drop than you realize, those stinger meters are too slow to respond to be accurate enough.

An aftermarket high output alternator is always recommend however, in some cases not absolutely needed. The only thing to keep in mind would be that your vehicles stock electrical system was designed to run the OEM components and maybe a few additional minor upgrades. You are doing that plus all the aftermarket equipment you just listed. To make a long story short, it's not needed but definitely recommended.

Acme Tops & Tunes

6430 Franklin Blvd.

Sacramento, CA 95823

www.acmetopsandtunes.com

PH 916.429.2293 FX 916.429.2296

Facebook YouTube Twitter Yelp Google

Something doesn't add up if the amplifier has the ability to pull more amperage than the alternator can make but still keep steady voltage. Your amplifier is definitely not getting close to the rated power output.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Archived