Sonic Electronix

do i need a second battery or H/O alt?

hey guys, so when i turn my stereo up to the highest loudness i want it at the voltage drops to 12.5v over time. i was looking at adding a battery in the trunk but then i saw this article, and didnt know how to proceed from here. http://cartech.about.com/od/Car-Audio/f/Do-I-Need-An-Extra-Battery-For-My-High-End-Car-Audio-System.htm

basically saying adding a second battery just stresses your alt more and doesnt help. i know thats true for capacitors. but i thought batterys were different because they dont drop all the power out at once in a single burp.

so i dont know if adding a second battery will help my situation. or if i need a H/O alternator.

i currently have a 2007 honda civic lx. with:

stock 80A alternator

an optima yellowtop d51r (35Ah i believe)

big 3 with 4ga wire

two amps, one for the front speakers and one for the sub, currently no rear speakers. but would like to add if have the power to drive them

2x 75w front speakers @4ohms

1x 300-400w sub @4ohms

I would agree, adding a second battery will just increase the amount of power to pull from, although I believe that it will only decrease still because as it sits, the alt doesn't maintain. I'd say get a H/O alt for a couple reasons.

You can actually find a H/O alt for around the same price as a good battery, also overall it's a great improvement to the car's electrical system.

believe half of what you see and none of what you hear lol.

2003 Ford Taurus SEL

JVC KD-R520

4 JL ZR-525CSI 5.25 Mids

4 JL ZR100-CT Highs

1 18" RE Sx Dual 4 ohm wired parallel to 2 ohms

1 Kicker CX1200.1 (Bass)

1 DD S4B (Mids)

2 Optima Yellow Tops

200a Alt.

hey guys, so when i turn my stereo up to the highest loudness i want it at the voltage drops to 12.5v over time. i was looking at adding a battery in the trunk but then i saw this article, and didnt know how to proceed from here. http://cartech.about.com/od/Car-Audio/f/Do-I-Need-An-Extra-Battery-For-My-High-End-Car-Audio-System.htm

basically saying adding a second battery just stresses your alt more and doesnt help. i know thats true for capacitors. but i thought batterys were different because they dont drop all the power out at once in a single burp.

so i dont know if adding a second battery will help my situation. or if i need a H/O alternator.

stock 80A alternator

big 3 with 4ga wire

two amps, one for the front speakers and one for the sub, currently no rear speakers. but would like to add if have the power to drive them

1x 300-400w sub @4ohms

Have you bypassed your electronic load detector? Your car will drop to 12.5/7 during certain situations to save you gas. Anything connected straight to your battery will not show as a load on the ECU since the current isnt passing through the load detector. In other words,your alternator will shut on and off while full tilting your sounds.

If you have not bypassed the ELD yet, then this http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/139844-how-to-eld-bypass-for-honda-civicaccordfit/ is probably what you are looking for

Where are you reading the voltage at?

your running around150-200watts aftermarket, and drop to rest? That is silly harsh.

Is this at idle or rev? and "how much time?"

Is your battery resting ok?

(imho your running nothing, power wise. Seeing battery rest tells me its your car's "brain" doing. Or some connections are not up to snuff.

:shrug:

stock 80A alternator

big 3 with 4ga wire

1x 300-400w sub @4ohms

Have you bypassed your electronic load detector? Your car will drop to 12.5/7 during certain situations to save you gas. Anything connected straight to your battery will not show as a load on the ECU since the current isnt passing through the load detector. In other words,your alternator will shut on and off while full tilting your sounds.

Where are you reading the voltage at?

your running around150-200watts aftermarket, and drop to rest? That is silly harsh.

Is this at idle or rev? and "how much time?"

Is your battery resting ok?

(imho your running nothing, power wise. Seeing battery rest tells me its your car's "brain" doing. Or some connections are not up to snuff.

:shrug:

He is running on battery power. I bet if he starts his car fresh in the morning his voltage wont drop lower then 13.5 untill the ecu senses that the vehicle is warmed up.

This is common on most honda/acura's

Sorry for the double post. Not directed at you.

stock 80A alternator

big 3 with 4ga wire

1x 300-400w sub @4ohms

Here you go! http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/i-c-e-electrical-security-navigation/281279-unplug-eld.html

• 2 weeks later...

Archived