how much power can Infinity Kappa's REALLY take

csermonet47

They are rated at 90rms per woofer/tweeter. I have mine running at about 100rms and they seem to handle it fine. I know I have read somewhere that they love more power. I have an MB Quart RA640 waiting to be installed, which does 160rms at 2ohms. If any of you have experience with "overpowering" Infinity components, is 160 a bit much? If so, I may try to find a different set of 2ohm components. Or I suppose I could dial the output back on the RA640, maybe somewhere around 120rms.

What amp are you running right now that you assume is giving them 100 rms? I ran my kappa's on a Fosgate 75x4 that birthed about 100 per channel and the tweets didn't like it at all.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

What amp are you running right now that you assume is giving them 100 rms? I ran my kappa's on a Fosgate 75x4 that birthed about 100 per channel and the tweets didn't like it at all.

JL XD200/2

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_26842_JL-Audio-XD200-2.html

It's rated at 100rms per channel at 2 ohms. I would imagine it does rated, but don't have a birth sheet to confirm. Did you fry your tweets with your Fosgate amp? If and when I install the MB Quart, I'll just back the gain off substantially.

No I didn't fry them I had the gain set to max clean signal I backed it down to almost nothing on the tweets.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Keep turning the gain and bass boost up until they blow.

Once they blow, take note of where the gain and bass boost was at, than turn it back down a tad.

Once the speakers blow, take them out of the enclosure and put them in your freezer for at least 2 hours, and the woofers will be good as new.

The reason they blow is from excessive heat on the voice coil, putting them in the freeze will take care of the heat and make them stronger than they where new.

Its a very similar process to hardening steel with getting it extremely hot, than rapidly cooling it off.

The more times you repeat this process the stronger the steel and even your woofers will get!

No I didn't fry them I had the gain set to max clean signal I backed it down to almost nothing on the tweets.

So did you have each tweeter on a dedicated channel? The tweeters are rated at 50rms a piece. I am using the included crossovers, and each crossover running off 1 channel. So each 100rms channel is powering a tweeter and woofer. Each tweeter and woofer would be seeing 80rms on the new amp if ran at max power.

Archived