Going 2 way active

LemonyGuy

Im in need of a 2 way active crossover but im not sure who to go with. I want it be very budget friendly, i cant spend over 100 and could really use it being less. Not sure if you need this but on the first 2 channels it will be high passed 80-70 and if possible, low passed at 4k-5k. The other 2 will be high passed at 3k. I could use some input on if 1k of overlap is enough or if i should push the mids to 5k which is out of the recommended range but i figured it would work. I wouldnt mind having sub control but not a big deal. Please help me smd, first bigger build and could use help.

That is getting awfully low priced, I can see it being extremely hard to find a reliable one or even one at all.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

That is getting awfully low priced, I can see it being extremely hard to find a reliable one or even one at all.

I figured with it not being amps or something they would cheapen up, audiopoop has some crossovers for cheap but no clue if they would work if something dirty would come out. I have a dd1 so i can make sure it doesnt distort. Also has is oxygen audio and mclaren, i see them pop up and never heard much of them.

Could use an AudioControl 2XS and make your own filter for the crossover point, then use the factory 90Hz in the subsonic port.

No way to overlap, though. Also not sure why you'd want to.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_30403_AudioControl-2XS.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&scid=scplp3605297&gclid=CKnWrvGmk8ECFcQ-MgodajsAHQ

Back in the day Coustic and MTX actually did make some decent active crossovers, otherwise PG or AudioControl can be found used. Search around. For ease of use with your frequency requests I'd probably search for a 3-way.

Static drops are my bag.

Could use an AudioControl 2XS and make your own filter for the crossover point, then use the factory 90Hz in the subsonic port.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_30403_AudioControl-2XS.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&scid=scplp3605297&gclid=CKnWrvGmk8ECFcQ-MgodajsAHQ

Back in the day Coustic and MTX actually did make some decent active crossovers, otherwise PG or AudioControl can be found used. Search around. For ease of use with your frequency requests I'd probably search for a 3-way.

I want to overlap so the transition from driver to driver is smooth. The other problem with that one is it seems no easier to tune then an amps knobs. Who is pg though?

I want to overlap so the transition from driver to driver is smooth. The other problem with that one is it seems no easier to tune then an amps knobs. Who is pg though?

Phoenix Gold. Made some good crossovers back in the day.

That 2XS is not easier to adjust but it is more accurate than a knob style. Even if you set knobs with a CC-1 things can vibrate out of adjustment over time.

Static drops are my bag.

For a few more bucks you could get a mini DSP. I think they are 129 for a 2x4. That will give you adjustable xover slopes and a graphic or parametric eq. You can even add time alignment.

There are only a handful of mids that will play to 5k well. Silver flute, dynavox, and, scan speak come to mind. Most encounter severe break up and it gets worse the larger the diameter. Using a 24 db slope and aggressive eq'ing can help.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

For a few more bucks you could get a mini DSP. I think they are 129 for a 2x4. That will give you adjustable xover slopes and a graphic or parametric eq. You can even add time alignment.

There are only a handful of mids that will play to 5k well. Silver flute, dynavox, and, scan speak come to mind. Most encounter severe break up and it gets worse the larger the diameter. Using a 24 db slope and aggressive eq'ing can help.

I was eyeing those. What do you think about getting one without the box? Also thanks for the help on the mid, I think once I get it in I'll play around with it, I just don't want the transition frequencies to be lacking and miss something.

If you mean the mini DSP if it will work without a box. You'll need some place to safely mount it. Might want to check on that. They have a forum on their site that can answer any questions.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

If you mean the mini DSP if it will work without a box. You'll need some place to safely mount it. Might want to check on that. They have a forum on their site that can answer any questions.

Question, if i were to use that DSP, it says max of 2v input. My headunit has 4v outputs, would it damage the unit to use that?

Archived