Second Skin Audio

HELP! are my subs out of phase??

Mr DeeBeez

I posted this in my build log, but thought i would get a better response if i made a thread about it.

I just put in my new box with 2 hdc3 10's. they are powered by a rockford fosgate p1000-1bd amp. (i know they are very underpowered. have bigger amp to put in once i get time) when i started playing them, it looks like they are out of phase. also, i get a lot of port noise. can anyone help me figure out why?

also, the box was designed by joe x, so i dont think the box is the reason for the port noise

here is a video of it

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

Take leads going to amp from subs

Touch to batt + and -

Subs should move same direction. If not out of phase

also dont hold the sub speaker wires on the batt + and - for more than a brief second.

subs moving out = in phase

subs sucking in = out of phase.

its not just on camera. in person it does seem like one is moving more than the other, and they arent moving at the same time. ill try the pop test.

also, if subs are out of phase, would that create port noise?

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

I wouldn't think you would get port noise if the subs were out of phase, since they would be canceling each other out.

Like others said, I bet your subs are in phase, but do a pop test with a 9v battery to know for sure.

Did you round over the edges inside and around your port? Sharp edges will give you port noise.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

did the pop test. they are not out of phase. and triticum, no i did not. i have an angled piece of wood in the corner of the port, but did not round off anything. will port noise affect output? or can you hear it other than when your trunk is open?

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

Archived