Second Skin Audio

port sharing

tn2k

With a dual enclosure with the subs in their own enclosure on each side. I have the inner start of the port at the back of the enclosure and it comes out thru the center of the entire box. is it fine to have the slotted ports share the center exit? Or is it better to keep the slotted ports separated all the way to the exit?

Also with the gen 5 alpine type-r is it ok to utilize a larger slotted port area than the alpine recommended 12.5" by 1"?

I should add. currently I will be using a 1200 watt 1 Ohm amp to drive them. However sooner or later I will move to a 2000-2500 watt 1 ohm amp. Hense the question about the port area and if it will affect the power handling...

As long as where the two ports meet the port area doubles you should be fine (two 12.5" x 1' ports become one 12.5" x 2" port).

That being said, personally I don't like high aspect ratio ports since they are inefficient for their size and 12.5:1 is definitely what I'd consider high aspect ratio. Your box may benefit from more port area and a lower aspect ratio, though the ports would have to be longer to get the same tuning.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Right now I have one swr-12d4 running on a audison sr1dk at 2 ohms in a vented (4" id with a routed 1/2" flare) enclosure, port n box tuned to about 35-36 hz. I find it a bit peaky but there is no port noise. box is about 1.8 cubic feet. Very surprised at the bass.

I have the second woofer and are tossing ideas around for the dual enclosure. I wanted to keep the subs in a single box but separete enclosures in case i run two amps (one to each sub...) Havent decided if im just going to get another sr1dk or go for a single larger amp. which was why i was wondering if a 2 common walled port to two subs is ok when running 2 amps.

Archived