Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

sub opinions from experience...not research


yhateanxj

Recommended Posts

Posted

Okay, I am looking to buy another higher end sub to finalize (for now) my system. I currently have an xcon d1 12 in a 2.75^3 box at 32htz. It is being ran off a dc 2.0 @ 2ohms/1200rms. Now it slams, hits the lows and is very clean and accurate. My problem is, 1-I want more and 2- its a d1, so im not seeing full potential of the amp. I have done massive amounts of research between them, but research is bias. People tend to swing from whatever nut, or brand they have, or "heard" was good, and opinions seem to be one sided. Im looking for some suggestions to help determine where I want to land.

4 subs have continuously occurred in my venture, 12"zcon, sundown zv4, and now, dc level 5 or the new xl. I know on 3 of the 4, my amp will power just fine, and even the fourth (lvl5) to an extent. I love the xcon, and know that the zcon is obviously a step ahead of it in most aspects. Im looking for one that stands out above the rest, in every facet. I'm curious as to who has had a chance to listen to, or own these subs, and what were the pros and cons to them.

I dont want this to be a vs. slamfest, "this ones better cause I've owned it" "oh yeah mine was best" competition. I want real world, non conformist experience. I can read what people think of them, and it all seems to be dictated mostly by who they affiliate with. I like the bass that is clean, and pure, has the bottom end to pick up the lows, keeps up in all musical genres, and will overwhelmingly make my transition from the xcon to one of the others definitively seamless.

I am not looking at extending size of sub above a 12 or the amount of subs past 1. I have a jeep cherokee, but am not wanting the whole cargo area eaten up, hence the single 12. I understand that we are all different, with multiple variances in our own versions of musicality, what sounds good to one may not to another. I want to achieve a better understanding of these drivers, as I have no way to test each individually. I want big, deep, low rumbly bass mostly, I can adjust the rest accordingly. I'm not %100 sold on one or another, so I look to you all for some guidance.

Posted

Okay, I am looking to buy another higher end sub to finalize (for now) my system. I currently have an xcon d1 12 in a 2.75^3 box at 32htz. It is being ran off a dc 2.0 @ 2ohms/1200rms. Now it slams, hits the lows and is very clean and accurate. My problem is, 1-I want more and 2- its a d1, so im not seeing full potential of the amp. I have done massive amounts of research between them, but research is bias. People tend to swing from whatever nut, or brand they have, or "heard" was good, and opinions seem to be one sided. Im looking for some suggestions to help determine where I want to land.

4 subs have continuously occurred in my venture, 12"zcon, sundown zv4, and now, dc level 5 or the new xl. I know on 3 of the 4, my amp will power just fine, and even the fourth (lvl5) to an extent. I love the xcon, and know that the zcon is obviously a step ahead of it in most aspects. Im looking for one that stands out above the rest, in every facet. I'm curious as to who has had a chance to listen to, or own these subs, and what were the pros and cons to them.

I dont want this to be a vs. slamfest, "this ones better cause I've owned it" "oh yeah mine was best" competition. I want real world, non conformist experience. I can read what people think of them, and it all seems to be dictated mostly by who they affiliate with. I like the bass that is clean, and pure, has the bottom end to pick up the lows, keeps up in all musical genres, and will overwhelmingly make my transition from the xcon to one of the others definitively seamless.

I am not looking at extending size of sub above a 12 or the amount of subs past 1. I have a jeep cherokee, but am not wanting the whole cargo area eaten up, hence the single 12. I understand that we are all different, with multiple variances in our own versions of musicality, what sounds good to one may not to another. I want to achieve a better understanding of these drivers, as I have no way to test each individually. I want big, deep, low rumbly bass mostly, I can adjust the rest accordingly. I'm not %100 sold on one or another, so I look to you all for some guidance.

good luck. :wtf:

Posted

A while ago I bought a Digital Designs 512 from a guy off craigslist. He gave me a demo of his Digital Designs 3510 and it was by far the best single subwoofer set up I've gotten to listen to and it was hooked up to a audiopipe 1000w amp @ 2OHM. I was very surprised how clean it was even listening to the local radio channels.

Posted

to be honest, i didnt read your novel you wrote. BUT i can tell you i love my Fi sp4 18 and i would recommend it.

1997 subaru legacy outback

Four 15's in a almost wall

Rockford Fosgate t2500-1bdcp

Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on tweets
Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on highs
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midrange
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midbass

Optima Yellow top batteries
270A Singer alt (working on a bracket for a second) 
Lots of Second Skin

 

Posted

That's a long post for a vs thread...I personally would lead towards the zcon and the sundown, but tbh its half dozen or six on how they sound. There's way too many variables to say how it will sound in your specific setup. I would assume this post is going to get locked so would suggest just going with whatever you can get cheapest. The subs output will largely be dictated by the enclosure and how its frequency response interacts with your car. Any of those subwoofers offer a solid platform to work with.

1997 Lexus ES300

HU - Pioneer MVH 7350

Processor - Helix DSP

Front Stage - JBL P660C

Mid/high amp - Alpine PDX-F4

Subs - 1 IA Death Penalty 12

Sub Amp - Cactus Sounds PF300.1

Posted

Yes, I know it was fairly long winded, but if it was not just assumed vs., it would be understood this is not meant as a versus thread. Its a post inquiring actual knowledge of each, in hopes maybe someone has been around or owned each, and their opinions. Considering how I liked the xcon, I am looking for which will be not comparable, but which, by personal experience, will give me more results in the low end. Im really not sure how someone inquiring about certain subs can be deemed vs.I asked for personal intel regarding the pros or cons, based on my very simplistic requirements.

What will work best for me, is any one of these, I will adjust the rest of the system to my liking for the best end result. All I need is some minor advice/guidance. How is anyone supposed to be able to choose something that they cant personally experience without asking questions? Its not like I can go to local audio shop and listen to them, cant hear them over a youtube video, or car audio forum.

Thank you 'souldrop' for the basic advice. Im not concerned with which will be cheaper, im wanting to make sure I dont regret my purchase and end up with something similiar to what I already have.

Posted

The thing is no one can really answer what will be best for you, every sub will perform different in every vehicle and every different enclosure. the only way to know if you're going to like it is to buy it and try it and even they you may build multiple boxes to find a setup you like best.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Posted

The thing is no one can really answer what will be best for you, every sub will perform different in every vehicle and every different enclosure. the only way to know if you're going to like it is to buy it and try it and even they you may build multiple boxes to find a setup you like best.

Very true. I know no one can answer what will be best for me. I am interested in, I guess, how they performed in certain vehicles like my jeep, enclosure sizes best accommodating, recommendations of what would be best suited for a low end, brutal monster. To not TELL ME what will be best for me, just advice that would gear towards hitting the spectrum of what I want within those 4 choices.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 2995 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...