Second Skin Audio

3 subs

Thinking about doing 3 sundown e12s I have 2 right now I'm wondering if it's worth adding one if it will make it much louder. I could probably do 4 12s to but kinda like the idea of 3 subs. Was also thinking about a 4th order bandpass for maybe just the 2 subs that I have now but I've never built a 4th order so I'm not sure where to start any input would be great.

Thinking about doing 3 sundown e12s I have 2 right now I'm wondering if it's worth adding one if it will make it much louder. I could probably do 4 12s to but kinda like the idea of 3 subs. Was also thinking about a 4th order bandpass for maybe just the 2 subs that I have now but I've never built a 4th order so I'm not sure where to start any input would be great.

Okay, how about let's start from scratch.

What vehicle, and what kind of space are you working with? What are your goals and budget?

It comes down to the space you have when doing something, an odd number of subs usually leads to impedance mismatch with common amplifiers so you end up worse, 4th BPs just take more space than ported, output wise I would prefer to use the extra space to increase cone area in most cases.

It's a 2012 impala I can probably get 6 or 7 cubes in the trunk probably closer to 6 cubes maybe more if I build in the trunk I like the idea of the bandpass but it may be better to just add 2 more e12s I have 2 amps I got a hell of a deal on so I couldn't pass it up there hifonics hfi1500ds there not the greatest but for less than a 100 bucks for the pair there pretty decent and seem to put close to 1000 watts out. I'm kinda on a budget. Not looking to do this right away just kinda thinking of some ideas. Would it be better to just get 2 more subs and build a box. I'm looking to get as loud as I can on a budget.

A couple things:

If getting loud is your goal, maximizing cone area should be your focus.

If you have the space for it, and have a need to push all the sound through a port, like on cars with firewalled trunks, bandpass boxes are great. Otherwise there isn't much that you are going to accomplish with a bandpass box that you couldn't do as well or better with a properly designed and built ported box.

If you have 6 or 7 cubes, you probably only have room to do things right with 3 12" subs at best. Ports and the thickness of material you use can eat up space pretty fast.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

According to sundown one e12 is 1.75 cubes for a ported box so I I can get 6.5 to 7 net cubes in my trunk that should be big enough right? Or can I get louder by getting maybe 2 15s and having around 1000 rms going to each one or even 2 different 12s that can Handel more power ?

Big enough for what?

When Sundown recommends 1.75 cubic feet, that's net airspace, which is the space you have left inside your box after you subtract out the volume the port, the sub itself, bracing, etc take up. All that stuff adds up to a lot of space. For example, I have a E12 in a 1.5 cube net airspace box, but the whole box takes up 3.2 cubes of the back of my Jeep. Another example, I'm building a box for a FI 15" right now with 2.75 cubes of airspace, but the total displacement of the box is 5.8 cubes.

So when you say you have 7 cubes of space that's why I'm telling you have space for two 12"s, possibly three...maybe. Two 15"s would almost certainly be louder, but you don't have the space.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

It's a 2012 impala I can probably get 6 or 7 cubes in the trunk probably closer to 6 cubes maybe more if I build in the trunk I like the idea of the bandpass but it may be better to just add 2 more e12s I have 2 amps I got a hell of a deal on so I couldn't pass it up there hifonics hfi1500ds there not the greatest but for less than a 100 bucks for the pair there pretty decent and seem to put close to 1000 watts out. I'm kinda on a budget. Not looking to do this right away just kinda thinking of some ideas. Would it be better to just get 2 more subs and build a box. I'm looking to get as loud as I can on a budget.

Post max dimensions for a box in your trunk to check your options, anyways to give you an idea you probably could manage 2 12s on 4th bandpass, 3 12 on ported or possibly 2 airspace saving 15s on ported, can't tell for sure until I see your dimensions, you may need to build inside the trunk for all options. 2 15s one on each amp would be my choice if feasible.

Take Joe X's advice. He is one of the best enlosure designers on this site and is a hell of a guy. This is what he came up with in my tight trunk space of my Lancer and it sounds and hits very well.

newsubenclosure2014003_zps743745cb.jpg

Subupgrade2014010_zps3c6dfe77.jpg

2 HDS310 on 2K

Archived