Second Skin Audio

New sa8's sitting at home! New box time.

pk222

I apologize for making another post so soon but now that I have the subs sitting at home in dying to get them in!

So I have an 04 g35 that these are going in on a audioque 1200d. My specs are 36 w by 14 h by 20 depth. I know this is more than enough space. I have 2 3" precision flared ports on the way. I'm playing with the tores calculator. I'm planning on tuning between 30-35 hz. I listen to mostly rap with some rock. Im trying to decide between using a single 3 inch aero or both. I am only getting between 7-9 sq in of port per foot with the single. Will this be enough since I'm using aeros? Thanks in advance

I came up with 12x36x12 and with a double front baffle(idk if i need it) with 1 3 inch aero 7 inches long im getting 33.43 hz with 3.82 inches of port per foot.. this can't be enough. What am i doing wrong?

A. What's your net airspace? Sundown recommends 0.5-0.75 per sub. 12x12x36 before sub and port displacement sounds like a lot.

B. No way on God's green Earth is a single 3" port enough for a pair of SA8's. I think more like a pair of 4" ports for those two subs. Math says with 16mm Xmax tuned to 35 hz and an 8" sub you should be targeting 14" port area per sub.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

I just cut down the box size to 12x34x12 to get 1.63 net after port sub and extra baffle. With the 2 3 in aeros I have ordered that are 14 in long I'm looking at 36 hz and 8.66 port area per foot..

Should I try making the box even smaller or should I try slotted instead?

My aeros haven't showed up yet but for now I'll try out a slot ported box. If I'm not happy with it I'll order some 4 inch ports and try again.

I found a design for 2 sa's that joe x had posted. I'll try that out and see how it goes.

Thank you for letting my know the 3 inch ports were a mistake

My aeros haven't showed up yet but for now I'll try out a slot ported box. If I'm not happy with it I'll order some 4 inch ports and try again.

I found a design for 2 sa's that joe x had posted. I'll try that out and see how it goes.

Thank you for letting my know the 3 inch ports were a mistake

NP man, when I saw a single 3" port for those subs, I was shaking my head. Then I ran the numbers, and realized even a pair of 3's wasn't going to cut it. 4 3" ports would be about right, or a pair of 4" ports.

3" ports = 7.06 square inches each, you'd need 4 to his the 14" of port per sub

4" ports = 12.56 square inches each, you could probably get away with just two since they're aeros.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

I don't know what it is, I've just always loved the way aero ported boxes look. And that's all I've built since it was easiest for me. But I wanted to do things right with these now that I got some nicer subs. I realize from your posts how bad my designs have been in the past. I just recently started learning more in depth about port area and the difference in requirement between slotted and aeros. I was also limiting myself on port length because the psp's only come in 14"

Archived