Second Skin Audio

Design Changes for added bracing....cuts will begin tonight!

magillaru

The general recomendation I got was to brace any panel longer than 18 inches. I'm sure every builder has his own wisdom to share, but that seams like a good place to start.

For an example, my current enclosure isn't terribly large in cross section (14x17) but it's VERY long (33") so it's brace in the center of that long run to prevent any resonant flexing. I also double baffles, which adds quite a bit of strength all on it's own.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

I'm also putting extra layers externally on the sides, top, bottom and back.

Was thinking maybe do that and have the rods going from top to bottom and from port walls to side panels (nothing going through the port though)......

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

#anothershittysingerbuild

Not a huge fan of the window bracing so was thinking about something like this still using the threaded rods.

I also changed a few things with panels to give them more surface area for glue at the joints (can't really see from this picture but I'll be starting a build log so you'll see it then.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t658/magillaru/2919CBA3-DD2E-4CF3-87C0-FFCAFA405D37_zpsiyyxenxt.jpg

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

Your Torres is still set to 0.75 wood thickness, click the 1.5 in wood thickness or your box specs are going to be off.

I kept the original external and internal dimensions for net volume and tuning but just added a shell around the back, sides, top and bottom for added support....the final external dimensions will be different but that shouldn't effect it internally, right? (I have the room for what the final external dimensions will be).

The port thickness is 1.5 but I assumed that was calculated by entering 1.5 in the box for port thickness.....

Please tell me if this is way off.

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

Yeah, after I got the net volume and tuning where I wanted it, I decided I wanted to add more support and just added the "shell". Didn't want to change anything in Torres though.

I got all the cuts made except the front baffle done tonight. Going to finish the cuts tomorrow and then hopefully start adding glue by Friday.

I'll get the build log going later this week and will post a link in here.

EDIT: eh, couldn't wait haha http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/192804-first-big-build-2-fi-team-15s-1-ab-11001-singer-320-and-more/

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

Archived