Motorboat KER Posted October 20, 2014 Report Posted October 20, 2014 Hey guys. Eventually I want to move to competitions once I get my better gear. I know the difference between SPL/SQ slightly. I know it is easy to measure SPL, but, how do people measure SQ? Just some random guy goes in and goes: "Yep. Sounds good"? Also, are there classes for SPL like, SUV only then sedans/hatchbacks? How about power? Like 1kw< 2kw< etc etc?
timc31610 Posted October 20, 2014 Report Posted October 20, 2014 Following to see the answers... My Build Log 94 Civic http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188644-94-civic-4-door-build-loq-suggestions-wanted-will-be-super-slow-mo/ Faceebook reluctantly
SlamminBeats Posted October 20, 2014 Report Posted October 20, 2014 depends on organization then yes there's classes with different vehicles and power, mods honestly i think its silly to build to a certain class, it sometimes limits you alot. Unless your breaking world records whats the point?
Motorboat KER Posted October 20, 2014 Author Report Posted October 20, 2014 depends on organization then yes there's classes with different vehicles and power, mods honestly i think its silly to build to a certain class, it sometimes limits you alot. Unless your breaking world records whats the point? I would build to a class my budget allows. If for $50 more I will be entered into a higher class and get smashed, then I'd save and stay with the lower class and take comps.
MaxVolume Posted October 20, 2014 Report Posted October 20, 2014 might have changed but in school i was told sq comps involve playing "pink noise", aand metering the vehicle to see how smooth and even each frequency comes in... when you play you want all the lights to be a straight line... anything too loud or quiet will adjust this line to a curve and lose you points....
Loaferboy Posted October 21, 2014 Report Posted October 21, 2014 Look into which organizations are in your area. IASCA, USACi, Midwest SPL, whatever. All will have a rule section on their respective websites. Some classes are determined by power (wattage), some are by number of woofers, some by whether or not your vehicle is walled. USACi used to do SQ with an RTA score. Yes, they put the mic in your car and played pink noise(sounds like static). They were looking for a perfectly flat response curve, which sounds like ass if you play music that way. SQ was also judged by the ear of the judge listening to the same song in every car. Kind of subjective, but that was the way it was done. SQ judging also had installation points. Neatness, secure mounting, special techniques, etc. That is why a lot of people went to SPL comps. Easy to judge, put a mic in the car, burp, score, done. So, I don't have anything cool here yet. It's no big deal
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.