Head unit quality

95 south

Guys how important is using a quality head unit in your ground pounder setup? I am using a Kenwood head unit right now that has good features but I know there are better units out there. In your setups do you guys adjust the bass/mid/treble up or down or leave everything on flat 0?

No System......GFY

Me personally, double-din Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood...gotta have a sub-out, 4V pre-outs, EQ capabilities, BT, and Ipod/Iphone compatible...technology nowadays has all the above...as far as the EQ being flat...never that....lol...i just adjust my head unit to how I like it to sound...

Meat and potatoes are more important that a pretty screen to me. 4V preouts as mentioned above are preferable, eq is a must, on board hp and lp crossovers really make adjusting things easier, time alignment I find on certain vehicle is a huge benefit (some it doesn't seam to matter as much.)

Personally, I'm a Kenwood faithful. Have tried others, and I keep coming back to upper end Kenwood Excelon units. Damned things work as advertised and sound good, and I've had good luck with them lasting.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

A good unit makes or breaks the system man.. I had a a older Alpine stereo when I bought my older suv that came with it.. Installed most of my old equipment and it sounded pretty good. Once I bought a brand spanking new double din pioneer (it's for sale ?) it made a world of a difference in loudness and sound. Mostly due because this new one had a hpf filter.

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

Archived