Second Skin Audio

SA-12 Aero Port Help

mylesshivers

Always build your port area with you xmax parameter. Power only matters if you are very well experienced and don't want to ever upgrade an amp, ever.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Good point above. Regardless of power, Xmax is Xmax. The sub WILL NOT reliably move more than that, just less if feeding less power/not near tuning frequency.

I have to ask, if you're listening to country, why not stick with a sealed enclosure? It's a personal preference, but for accoustic bass (rock, country, alternative, ect.) I tend to like the sound of a sealed enclosure better than ported. I always go ported for rap/hip hop/electronic music.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Good point above. Regardless of power, Xmax is Xmax. The sub WILL NOT reliably move more than that, just less if feeding less power/not near tuning frequency.

I have to ask, if you're listening to country, why not stick with a sealed enclosure? It's a personal preference, but for accoustic bass (rock, country, alternative, ect.) I tend to like the sound of a sealed enclosure better than ported. I always go ported for rap/hip hop/electronic music.

Okay, I have thought about sealed, but I have fallen into the trap that ported is louder and "shakes" more.

Only around tuning.

But a low tuned enclosure will have a very fast group delay close to a sealed enclosure and the extended bass shelf of the wave manipulation of ported enclosures.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

Only around tuning.

But a low tuned enclosure will have a very fast group delay close to a sealed enclosure and the extended bass shelf of the wave manipulation of ported enclosures.

What do you mean only around tuning?

So is this what you are say..... if I tune a ported(slot or aero) box lower to something along the lines of 25 hz. It will have faster response and more back pressure, but also move air and be louder than a sealed enclosure?

Get a modeling software like WinISD and just make a few scenarios and see what happens.

OK, y'all are very, very informative, I am actually starting to get overwhelmed. Let me know if this is correct,

• Since I am overpowering the subwoofer there needs to be more port area because of more airspeed.
  • Slot ports require larger box's.

My set max dimensions are L = 30" H = 14". The width is flexible up to 13"

My "application" and goals is for a daily driver, I listen to country all the time, but love the bass. I would like the box to be thin enough to be able to put golf clubs on my trunk without having to worry.

I also have a question, do I need to power it at 600 rms to be able to correctly and effectively determine to port area?

If you are overpowering the sub you will most likely benefit from ported to evacuate heat if you are not reverse mounting the sub, to improve transient response limit net volume, probably 1.75 net and tune low like say 30-32 Hz, give ample port area as possible, pretty sure some 32 square inches of slot port area will be more than enough at that tuning range, if you want a displacement/tuning based way to calculate port area look into Richard H. Small's estimate, you need to feed real data to it for it to work well.

The first response.

All it is, is converted the metric units and simplified the expression for most people to use.

Another estimate he used was having the velocity of the air of the port have at most a speed of 15 m/s.

The first response.

All it is, is converted the metric units and simplified the expression for most people to use.

Another estimate he used was having the velocity of the air of the port have at most a speed of 15 m/s.

Right is just that the calculator leads to inaccurate results as it uses a table for cone surface area that can be off significantly sometimes, higher displacement subs surround can lead to lesser cone surface area than a low displacement ones for example and Xmax of that sub is specified to 70% BL = 19mm, that may not very linear for some applications, you may also go over that in other applications. And yes the formula tries to set your max airspeed to about 4.5 % of mach but again accurate data should be used.

Archived