Dynamic Range Database

Hotdog

In my search for songs to test for sound quality I came across the Dynamic range database which is really neat. Here is a link to the database.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/

This is a searchable data base too so you can search your favorite songs and see how dynamic they really are.

Some background information on Dynamic range

Link to site to test your songs for dynamic range so you can upload your results the the database linked above.

http://www.pleasurizemusic.com/

another thing neat about it is, if you search your artist and you click on the DR button to sort the albums by most dynamic. Then if you click on the album it will show you what the dynamic rating for each track is on the album. Only down side is it does not list the track name only what track number it was so you would have to look at your CD to get song title.

well I guess it does

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed folder: /Users/Music/Michael Jackson/Off The Wall
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR Peak RMS Filename
DR17 -0.01 dB -18.89 dB 01 Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough.m4a
DR15 -3.43 dB -21.15 dB 02 Rock With You.m4a
DR17 -1.07 dB -19.46 dB 03 Working Day And Night.m4a
DR16 -1.12 dB -19.80 dB 04 Get On The Floor.m4a
DR16 -2.00 dB -19.78 dB 05 Off The Wall.m4a
DR17 -2.29 dB -20.67 dB 06 Girlfriend.m4a
DR14 -9.39 dB -28.03 dB 07 She's Out Of My Life.m4a
DR14 -5.42 dB -22.86 dB 08 I Can't Help It.m4a
DR16 -1.36 dB -20.10 dB 09 It's The Falling In Love.m4a
DR16 -0.70 dB -18.78 dB 10 Burn This Disco Out.m4a
Number of files: 10
Official DR value: DR16

If you sort by year, you can see how music released pre 90's has good range and as soon and the digital stuff like CD's and Downloading shows up it drops.

Anything that is being released from around 2010 and on is better, probably because we don't need to be compressing music to reduce file size anymore with the speed of computers and the internet these days.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

I have been sorting the DR max column and then finding the songs on the album that has the most and listening to them.

All I can say is this will make looking for a song for SQ a lot easier I will post some examples when I find some good ones in my opinion

I'm trying to get the analyzer to work for one of my test albums.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

With a Dynamic Range of 23

Dire Straits - Tunnel of Love Music Video

With a Dynamic range of 21

Sting - Nothing Like the Sun - Little Wing

so let me understand dynamics in cds is easily change with compressing the files, correct?

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

so let me understand dynamics in cds is easily change with compressing the files, correct?

Yes if you compress the original song you will lose dynamic range. The more bi-rate the song the more dynamic it is.

Say you have an Eagles song and it is 320kbs and you want to compress it to 128kbs you are going to lose dynamic range. It is therefore best to have either original CD or loss less format.

Archived