Jump to content
Sonic Electronix

Great way to spend $20 for your system


Recommended Posts

Posted

This is an iPhone app from Studio Six Digital called AudioTools. It's actually a very powerful tool with a ton of options that I've barely scratched the surface of.

These apps were previously just play toys, but this thing is legit. Used to be that the internal mics were just "guessing" below ~ 250hz and there were large differences from one mic to the next. But Studio Six has figured out how to bypass the phone's internal processing and/or filters to bring us a pretty awesome suite of tools.

Anyway, I decided to put it up against the Dayton EMM-6 using Room EQ Wizard (REW). This is a very popular DIY combo for the SQ crowd. The mic has been calibrated. My phone is utilizing the default calibration (meaning, I didn't do shit).

Top pic is the Dayton+REW (laptop based). Bottom is the $20 app on my iPhone6 using the internal mic. Both in 1/12 octave.

BCF0C040-FAA2-45B7-99E9-230EEE646062_zps

If you're not seeing much difference... that's the point I'm trying to make. And the only anomaly I can really see is the peak ~ 4khz on mine. And that very well may be the difference between FFT and RTA or a resonance between my headrest and the phone case.

Either way... we all know RTA is only part of the story, but it's a great way to *see* what you're hearing and I highly recommend this app to anyone who gives a shit what their system sounds like.

Also... here's the stock system in the Fiesta. Suck it.

DCB9646F-C857-4E4C-92C5-AA2CB05ED44E_zps

Posted

I use AudioTools with a Dayton iMM-6 mic. Good to know the internal mic will work

Still interested in the AudioTool app for Android (different than AudioTools for IOS, totally different company for those that don't know). Seems like AudioTools has more functions, but the RTA might be better in AudioTool.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

Posted

I use AudioTools with a Dayton iMM-6 mic.

Same setup I use. Works plenty good for a 13 band EQ tune.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

 

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1141 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...